Eliminating a dead zone with my PSW350

setzer808
setzer808 Posts: 173
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Well, I must admit ever since I gota clearance/open-box deal on my PSW-350 I've been in HT (and Music) heaven. With one small problem however... My home-theater room is about 13x22 ft and the location of my chair (the 5.1 sweet spot) had a HUGE bass drop due to reflections/standing waves. The sub was about 3.5 feet from the front wall and 1 foot from the left wall beside a couch. The room was pumped with excellent bass in every place except MY CHAIR!

The Solution: I have couch parallel with the left wall. The sub was near the end of the couch nearest the front wall. I decided...hmmm....why not use an extender on my cable and put the sub on the other side of the couch....the one nearer me. BIG DIFFERENCE. Now I hear the bass I dreamed of. My friends are blown away too. The sweetspot is now my chair and all the other seats in the room. My room demands a dead-zone somewhere....now that spot is in a small area directly front of the tv screen (where no one would be sitting anyway!).

Moral of the story...if you have a rectangular room and your sweet spot is lacking in bass...try moving that sub and putting that dead-zone where it doesn't touch any of your seating. :-)
Polk CS245i Center
Polk RT55i Mains
Polk RT25i Rears
Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
Post edited by setzer808 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Excellent advice to pass on. I think often people think the solution to their problems is to buy more/better gear instead of getting the most out of what they already own through a little know-how and a time spent experimenting.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited February 2003
    Way to go Setzer, I have had my 350 for about a year now, in a room wth similar dimensions, I had to tweek the placement as you did, but now it's perfect, I love the unit I think it matches well with my 800's. I say all this because some poeple on this site have downed the 350 in past. For the money as most Polk equipment, I find it hard to beat.
    Enjoy. Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Avidfan
    Avidfan Posts: 12
    edited February 2003
    Thank you for your post setzer. Reading it inspired me to try expeimenting with the location of my sub, and I found that just by moving it from the front left corner to the deeper front right corner of the room, I got much stronger and more dynamic bass response and substantially reduced unwanted vibrations from objects in the room. Overall it just sounds a lot cleaner. Good deal!

Jason:D
  • setzer808
    edited February 2003
    Glad my post has helped others. Just doing my small part :cool:
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2003
    You are lucky you figured out how to control the null zone. My room is (gasp) 10'x 11' x 8'. That's right folks, almost a perfect cube. Ugh...
  • setzer808
    edited February 2003
    eeeek....u live in a mini-Borg. U have my most heartful-sympathy. :eek:
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2003
    Thanks. What makes is worse is it's a bedroom. That means a bed, listening chair, nightstand, equipment rack, 2 dressers, a subwoofer, and 2 speakers on stands have to be creatively crammed in to that itty bitty space. In fact, i've been moving things around for about the 20th time now and I'm just taking a break right now. :( So many madenning hours - wasted. That's why I'm moving everything to the basement. Much more hi-fi friendly. On the plus side, beds and dressers make good bass traps that don't actually look like bass traps. Not as effective as real traps, but it helps.