SDA-SRS 2.3tl's in Seattle, WA

Options
geoff727
geoff727 Posts: 546
edited June 2009 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
This pair of 2.3tl's is in excellent condition, with the exception of one hole in the front grille cloth near the bottom on the right speaker. The speakers come with the aftermarket SDA interconnect cable (made by Cinch).

I am sking $1,100 for the pair. I will not ship these. However, I will deliver within a reasonable area if you are unable to pick them up. Please call if interested. Thanks.

Geoff
(206) 321-2177
Polk SDA SRS 2
Polk RTA 15tl
Polk Monitor 7C
Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
Post edited by geoff727 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,003
    edited May 2009
    Options
    FYI, those are 2.3's that someone has installed SL3000 tweeters in. The give away is the blade/blade interconnect as the 2.3TL's used the pin/blade type only.

Edit:
    Well, I had another thought. Maybe someone installed B/B sockets in those speakers and they really are the TL version. Do you know?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JohnLocke88
    JohnLocke88 Posts: 1,150
    edited May 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    FYI, those are 2.3's that someone has installed SL3000 tweeters in. The give away is the blade/blade interconnect as the 2.3TL's used the pin/blade type only.

Edit:
    Well, I had another thought. Maybe someone installed B/B sockets in those speakers and they really are the TL version. Do you know?

Does that mean they're better. I've been reading up on SDAs and am thinking about trying to acquire a set of my own.

Sorry for the random thread jacking question.
  • geoff727
    edited May 2009
    Options

The serial number from the right speaker, which has 4 MW6510's on the inner stereo array, and 2 MW6510's on the outer 2-driver dimensional array, the configuration of the 2.3tl.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• F1nut
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I need to correct myself, both the 2.3 and the 2.3TL came with the pin/blade interconnect, so I apologize for my mistake.

Geoff, thanks for the S/N pic, it's pretty clear that those are 2.3TL's. That, however, does beg the question, why do these have a blade/blade interconnect?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• geoff727
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Geoff, thanks for the S/N pic, it's pretty clear that those are 2.3TL's. That, however, does beg the question, why do these have a blade/blade interconnect?

I don't know. I remember going over all this when I picked up the speakers, after having the same question. After looking at the crossover, various date of manufacture stickers, other components, and being satisfied that they were in fact genuine 2.3tl's, I did not give that interconnect socket another thought.

Who knows, maybe someone at the factory found some blade/blade sockets lying in a corner somewhere and decided to use them. Maybe they had a week-long shortage of pin/blade cables while this pair was on the assembly line and had to switch back to the blade/blade for a few days.

Internally, the connections are what you'd expect. The top blade goes to the negative binding post, the bottom blade socket goes where the 'pin' socket goes in the schematic. I can't see any difference, other than the fact that it's a blade instead of a pin.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Wow,, now thats an education, as I never knew they even existed (blade/blade in 2.3 tl's). Yet the crossover is the same as the pin/blade version. Cool. Good luck with your sale.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • geoff727
    edited May 2009
    Options
    This is the binding post cup of the 2.3tl's. The untouched glue clearly shows that the blade/blade interconnect is original to this pair. Nothing has been modified. Notice the stickers, one indicating that this is out of the binding post cup run of the 2.3's (or so it would seem), the other with the date of middle 1989 (when 2.3tl's were being made).
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• george daniel
    edited May 2009
    Options
    That is one good piece of dectective work sir,,good on you :)
  • geoff727
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks. Unfortunately, with society's desire for absolute conformity among material products like this, it probably means I'll have to sell the speakers off as a bunch of parts :rolleyes:! I hope not, though......
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The connector would mean nothing to me. Nice set of speakers.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,035
    edited May 2009
    Options
    If you lived here in Colorado they would already be sold, "to me" blade/blade pin/blade does it really matter? NO!

Nice Speakers!!!! I want them.

Larry.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The 2.3's have 2 different drivers as well MW6513's. all the drivers should be MW6510's in yours.
    But the big give away on the 2.3's is the MW6513's.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Well, you certainly have a unique pair of 2.3TL's. Good luck with the sale, they look to be in very nice shape.

But the big give away on the 2.3's is the MW6513's.

Not all 2.3's came with the donut drivers.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Not all 2.3's came with the donut drivers.

I thought they did, did this depend on the year they were made then?

I have done a lot of homework on the SDA's and from what i have learned is the 2.3's had the donut drivers. and why would they change it and still consider it a 2.3? and if not the MW6513 then what would they put in it's place? 2 more MW6511's?

I hope my wording don't come across the wrong way as i don't mean it to, I would just like to know.

Thanks,

Larry.
  • WastelandWand'r
    WastelandWand'r Posts: 466
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Curious as to how these would compare to the 1.2's? Aside from the obviously smaller number of drivers/tweets, do these push air like the big boys?
    From the photos they look to have been taken very well care of. If you are the reason, good for you.
    Any thoughts as to the abilities of these is greatly appreciated.
    Saving aluminum cans as I type.
    Happy trails,
    Nathan
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • geoff727
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Well, I'm glad to see that no one would really care about the interconnect socket. :) Like F1, it was almost the very first thing I noticed about this particular pair. I'm probably more guilty about being picky about consistency than anybody else is!
    If you lived here in Colorado they would already be sold, "to me" blade/blade pin/blade does it really matter? NO!

Nice Speakers!!!! I want them.

Larry.

If I was driving to RMAF this year, I would deliver them to your front door.

Well, you certainly have a unique pair of 2.3TL's.

SDA-SRS 2.3tl "Collector's Edition". Somehow, I don't think that would fly, would it? :rolleyes:

Curious as to how these would compare to the 1.2's? Aside from the obviously smaller number of drivers/tweets, do these push air like the big boys?
    Nathan

These have the metal dome tweeters, instead of the brighter-sounding fish-eye ones of the 1.2's. The 1.2tl's have the same as these. Sonically, they will be extemely close, the difference depending on personal preference.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• george daniel
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I prefer the 2.3tl's over all of the SDA series,, just my personal preference, to me they are just about perfect for all applications. Good luck .
  • geoff727
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Still here.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• geoff727
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Still available.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,227
    edited June 2009
    Options
    pm sent
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I thought they did, did this depend on the year they were made then?

I have done a lot of homework on the SDA's and from what i have learned is the 2.3's had the donut drivers. and why would they change it and still consider it a 2.3? and if not the MW6513 then what would they put in it's place? 2 more MW6511's?

I hope my wording don't come across the wrong way as i don't mean it to, I would just like to know.

Thanks,

Larry.

If you look at the manual for the original 1.2- 2.3's it shows no donut drivers in the pic, I believe it was still a MW 6513 just looked like a regular speaker. and also think it has a low (filtered) signal going to them.
  • geoff727
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Sold to WastelandWand'r
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• mewisemagic
    mewisemagic Posts: 194
    edited June 2009
    Options
    would like to know how much they sold for? (price argument between my wife and me LOL)
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,062
    edited June 2009
    Options
    geoff727 wrote: »
    Sold to WastelandWand'r

He got 2 sets of killer speakers. At least while wandering in Alaska he will have the SDA effect to keep him warm.;) Congrats to you both.