HELP: DB6501's into 1996 Isuzu Trooper

moxcon
moxcon Posts: 3
edited May 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I’ll start by saying I know little about auto sound. Here’s my dilemma I am trying to put new Polk DB6501 components into my 96 Isuzu Trooper. It has tweeters in the door pillars and the 6 ½’s in the doors. The 5 ½ in the rear are a simple change out. I thought the same about the fronts but I have switched them out and I get a clicking in the speakers when the volume is raised until the clicking gets unbearable as the volume goes up. A the wacky thing is the wiring to the bottom door speakers 6 1/2" mids have four wires going to each . The tweeters in the door pillars have two wires none of which are the same color leading me to believe there is a factory xover. I read in forums there is no xover in the 96 trooper, but a small transistor looking piece soldered to the tweeter was called a xover by one person in a forum. I guess my question is, should I just invest a weekend and rewire the oem radio to the supplied Polk xover, not currently installed ? Or is there a “short cut”. Note, there is no short in the speaker connections. Is it that the oem head unit just does not have enough power for the speakers? The speakers that came out were 4 ohm. The Polks are the same 4ohm.

original tweeters w/xover?
tweeters
mids

Thanks
Mox
Post edited by moxcon on

Comments

• dakatone
    dakatone Posts: 4
    edited May 2009
    I am not too sure about the cap attached to the tweeter or the additional wires to the woofer, but if I were in your same situation I would spend a weekend rewiring. I would start at the HU and head down from there. One of the most fearful aspects of rewiring the doors is getting the wires through the flexible grommets/conduits. The hardest way to do this is with a hanger, but most can be detached from the door and frame and then simply reattached (with much force) after the wiring is fed through.

This will ensure that your speakers are protected throughout the years by not only having good, clean signal through new wiring but also that they are utilizing the crossover Polk engineered them to use.

Note: One thing you might check for is an external amplifier. I know a few people with later model Isuzus and the OEM seem to favor an external amp on the passenger side tucked under the dash.

Good luck
    08 Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
    Eclipse AVN726E Nav Receiver
    Alpine SPX13Ref Front
    Alpine SPR-69c Rear Deck
    Alpine PDX-4.100
    JL 12W6v2D4
    Alpine PDX-1.600