recievers

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Hi could some one suggest a good av reciever for under 1000$ canadian along with a dvd/cd player for under 300$ canadian.

Thank you
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The Onkyo 600 is a pretty good receiver for the money, a little less than $500 US. I have the 595 (the 600 replaced it) and it does everything you need in a one room setup. The Sony DVD player I have listed under system 2 goes for about $230-$250 US, its a progressive scan 5 disc changer.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2003
    Options
    glemay,

I just got the Onkyo TX-SR600 for $500. Its great. I love it. It replaced a $200 Sony receiver, and the results were immediate and each day brings a new suprise. It is a very good receiver.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey Glemay,
    Have had my Onkyo 797 for about a year now, I love it and have had no problems. You can find it for about $850 US if you shop around, I would highly suggest you look around though and let your ears tell you what you like. I also know there are a lot of Denon fans on this site as well, a good name brand. Harmon Kardon is another that will get you there but I have heard a lot of questions about build quality and problems with some HK models as of late.
    What kind of speakers are you going to use is another useful question????
    Onkyo also has a good Rep. for DVD players as well with their Dual brown converters.
    Good Luck, Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The Onkyo TX-SR600 is a great buy, per earlier recommendations. I love mine, recommended it to a friend who bought one as well - and he is very pleased with it. But do remember to consider what other components you'll be hooking the receiver up to - do the research on the specs for the receiver as well as the other components, listen closely, and go from there.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • rscamer
    rscamer Posts: 70
    edited February 2003
    Options
    you could find a denon 1803 for about 800cnd or the 2802 for
    1100cdn. I find the denon is good for me. as with the dvd player
    toshiba has a model for $330cdn and it playes dvd-audio might
    be worth spending a few extra bucks now.
  • VE6OHV
    VE6OHV Posts: 119
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have to second the vote for the Denon avr1803. It can be found for 799.00cdn. Best bang for your buck in my opinion. Another option would be the Onkyo txsr600 it will run in around 860.00cdn. It was a tough choice for me but I went with the denon.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2003
    Options
    All of the above are fine receivers. Don't rush the decision and do some listening, sleep on it, more listening, and then make a decision.

I would recommend a receiver that has preouts for your main speakers. At first I thought I would never need pre-outs; but audio can catch you like a bug. You'll always want something bigger and better sounding until your totally satisfied.

With pre-outs, later down the road, if you want to get bigger and better speakers (Lsi's maybe), you can hook up an external amp to run your mains. A nifty convenience.

I went with the Yamaha RX-V1300. Only compared it to the Integra 6.3 and HK AVR 520 though. Some people love the Yamaha sound; some people can't stand it. Ditto for Onkyo / Integra. I believe the new Yammers aren't as bright as they used to be .... so worth a listen for sure. Denon mates well with Polks from what I've read....a fine product.

I would add Pioneer Elite and Yamaha to the above list of recommendations.