difference between s 6.5 and 6.5 speakers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
does anyone know what the difference between a S 6.5 speaker and a regular 6.5 . I am trying to replace the factory speakers in a 2003 S-10. The salesman said only S 6.5's would fit .... is that true or will regular 6.5's fit ?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2003
    A 6.5S is actually closer to 6.75 inches. It used to be called a european size because that sizes was only in cars with metric openings.

The 6.5 speaker may or may not fit. It depends on the vehicle. It's not worth it to build a mounting plate for .25 inches. Best thing to do is just get 6.5S or 6 3/4 inch speakers and use them instead of making way more work for yourself than you need to.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    ... or... if u're feelin real ghetto like - u can jam a 6.5" comp woofer into a 5.25" hole and then drywall screw the sucker in place --- then u wake up the next day in some blonde girl's kitchen, face down in a plate of spaghetti, wondering how u got there.

... seriously tho -- most of the "new" 6.5 euro speakers are actually "dual" jobbers... they're a 6.5" true speaker that has an extra mounting ring behind it that's just enough to make it fit a 6.75 euro hole perfectly. i've seen them called "7 inch " drivers as well... but they're just a 6.5 with a spare tire on em. focal / rainbow / id / crystal / and oz(oz comes summer 2k3 models) are all doing that now. i imagine it's gonna trickle down to the circuit city brands soon enough... its a damn good idea ... i mean hell... its that much less in porudction costs for MFG's who wanna keep the euro guys happy and sell over here... on speaker isntead of two - less tooling cost, etc etc.

I wouldn't waste my time cutting a hole or **** for u're truck -- if uwanna be absolutely shure, there's nothin like the good old "take the factory speaker outa the door and bring it into the stereo shop with u and hold it right up against the one u wanna buy and see if the tholes line up" technique.. then u can sleep at night and not worry if cuircuit city boy is givin ya the reamer.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge