They Say It Can't Be Done

wingnut4772
wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
edited May 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I took my new Hummer H3T to the shop to see about putting a system in it and they told me that there is absolutely no room for a subwoofer. Not under the seat, behind the seat. Nada. Without a sub, what's the point? I guess I'll just leave the crappy system it came with in.:(
Sharp Elite 70
Anthem D2V 3D
Parasound 5250
Parasound HCA 1000 A
Parasound HCA 1000
Oppo BDP 95
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
Totem Mask Surrounds X4
Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
Sony PS3
Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
Post edited by wingnut4772 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2009
    That doesnt make sense. There is no room in the back of the truck for a small box? You could get a solid 8" sub and put it in a box thats not that much bigger than a shoe box and have very solid bass.

Besides, if you invest in some good quality speakers up front, use plenty of Dynamat on the doors and give them ample power, your front stage will be able to handle the majority of the low end responsibilities. For example, my beloved SR6500s are playing all the way down to 31.5 Hz! They will go lower but 31.5 is the lowest theyll go cleanly. You get a set of these or something comparable, matched up with 100 watts per driver and a quality 8" and youd be set.

There are other, simpler options like the JL Audio Stealthbox. This is a 10" sub in a custom made enclosure that will integrate with the interior of your truck. Theyre pricey tho - $500'ish but if you can afford it, there is nothing simpler.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1554
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • wingnut4772
    edited May 2009
    That's what they said. They said that they usually have room but that this truck was an exception.

THe H3T is a Hummer Pick Up truck
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• MacLeod
    edited May 2009
    Where the hell have I been? I didnt even know these were out. Man these things look mean as hell! Ive got to get one!

And Id just like to add that the fact you drive one of these just made you that much hotter!

They may be right that there is no room for a sub but that doesnt mean you cant have quality audio. The good news is that since the interior is so small, you wont need as much power to have decent sub bass response do to cabin gain. Same principle of how you dont need a 1000 watt 12" home sub in a bedroom as opposed to a big theater room.

If you invest in some quality speakers they should easily be able to play well below 40 Hz provided theyre given ample power and installed in a WELL DAMPENED door. My beloved SR6500's are playing down to 31.5 with no problem at all. Theyre getting 100 watts per driver and Ive got 4 layers of Dynamat on my doors along with 15 pounds of modelling clay. Not saying youll have to add that much but spending $80 for a Dynamat door kit would be a very wise investment - buying 2 kits would be even better.

Now if youre not wanting to spend $900 on speakers you can still have much better low end punch than your stock system but the better speakers you buy, the better punch theyll have. The key will be in getting a big enough amp (100 watts per driver) and plenty of damping in the doors so the low end energy isnt wasted vibrating your door panels.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • wingnut4772
    edited May 2009
    Thanks.:D
    What speakers and amp would you recommend - keeping in mind I like a neutral ( not bright) sound? The Stealth boxes are pretty cool. I wish they made one for the H3T. I have OnStar now with the Blutooth for my phone so I would need a new head unit or no? I want to keep the OnStar and I get nervous when audio shops mess with it. I have had bad experiences.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited May 2009
    There is ALWAYS a way, It will probably take some nifty custom work, a custom consol, some cutting and fiberglass work but it can be done. Just depends on how bad you want to do it and how much you want to spend.
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2009
    You dont need a new head unit. Most amps these days accept speaker level inputs. Youd simply hook your factory speaker leads into the amp instead of RCA's and then go out to the speakers from there.

The downside to this is a much higher noise floor (hiiiiissssss).

The best option is either the JL Audio Cleansweep for $300 or the Rockford Fosgate 360.1 for $350.

What these do is they take the speakers wires from your factory head unit and they flatten the signal (factory HU's have default EQ'ing in them designed to make the cheap paper speakers sound better) then bumps the signal up to 8 volts and sends it out thru RCA's to your amp. This makes for a much cleaner signal and lower noise floor.

As for speakers, the Polk SR6500s are what Im using now and theyre very neutral. They have a very flat response and have great low end extension.

The MB Quart Premium line would be another good choice. MB Quart has been bought out a billion times and people tend to trash talk em since theyve" gone all corporate" but they still make a damn good speaker. These should be around $650 and also have a nice natural sound.

The Focal K2p line is also very solid. They go for around $650 as well. They can tend to be a little bright tho and may require some tweaking but they have superb low end response.

Any of these sets will be a fine choice.

As for amps, since you wont need a sub amp youll need to spend a little more to get good power. I recommend a 4 channel amp and bi-amp your speakers. This will give you the ability to better tune the output of your tweeters by turning the gain down or up on the amp to where you like it. Any of these 4 channel amps would fit the bill. Hard to go wrong with Alpine. The V Power line is their entry level amp and while it doesnt have a lot of bells and whistles, its a VERY good amp. The Polk 500.4 is also very nice and what Im using in my system. If you can afford it, the Alpine PDX is the one Id pick simply because its so small. Theyre about half the size of a normal 4 channel amp and just as powerful.

• wingnut4772
    edited May 2009
    Thanks. I don't know if I want to spend teh money if I can't put a sub in. I had the Polks in my last Hummer and they sounded pretty good. They have the Vifa tweets? The budget isn't quite there right now. The shop told me I couldn't use the stock head unit. Hmmmmm. I'm definitely gonna ask around. I don't think they were too knowledgeable.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• zarrdoss
    edited May 2009
    where did you go?
  • wingnut4772
    edited May 2009
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    where did you go?

Basic Sound in Miami

Whats the diff between the 6500s and the 5250s? (Polk speakers)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• zarrdoss
    edited May 2009
    it sure sounds like they dont know what they are talking about, The 6500,s seem to be the top of the line and more expensive where the 5250's are more budget component but still seem to be great speakers. It would come down to personal preference IMO.
  • wingnut4772
    edited May 2009
    At this point I'll just keep an eye open and see if they ever make a Stealth Box for it. I doubt it though since GM just cancelled Hummer and I never see the H3Ts on the road.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• MacLeod
    edited May 2009
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    it sure sounds like they dont know what they are talking about, The 6500,s seem to be the top of the line and more expensive where the 5250's are more budget component but still seem to be great speakers. It would come down to personal preference IMO.

Umm...no.

The 6500 is a 6.5" midrange while the 5250 is a 5.25" midrange.
    At this point I'll just keep an eye open and see if they ever make a Stealth Box for it. I doubt it though since GM just cancelled Hummer and I never see the H3Ts on the road.

They probably wont because, like you said theyre not making them anymore and theres not that many out there. Ive never seen on on the road and I drive a truck for a living!

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2009
    6500's are 6.5" midrange drivers where the 5250's are 5.25" mids... that's it. Same component, just different application depending on what size speakers your car has in the doors...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • wingnut4772
    edited May 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Umm...no.

The 6500 is a 6.5" midrange while the 5250 is a 5.25" midrange.

They probably wont because, like you said theyre not making them anymore and theres not that many out there. Ive never seen on on the road and I drive a truck for a living!

I have an instant collector's item!:D I drive 40 hours a week for a living as well and I NEVER see them. I kinda like that actually.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• MacLeod
    edited May 2009

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2009
    Feel like driving up to Jersey? I can fit a sub in anything. I have 3 Jeep CJ's to my credit! I ain't skeered of no H3T!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • zarrdoss
    edited May 2009
    Jstas wrote: »
    Feel like driving up to Jersey? I can fit a sub in anything. I have 3 Jeep CJ's to my credit! I ain't skeered of no H3T!

Would not scare me either, what kind of a weak **** shop was this? must not be too desperate for business.
  • wingnut4772
    edited May 2009

That's a bit far :p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Jstas
    edited May 2009
    That's a bit far :p

I'll make it worth your while. ;)

Well, maybe not since i don't have the right parts to interest you.

But I know a good place to get some chicken wings!

Plus you get to watch me work my evil genius magic!

• wingnut4772
    edited May 2009
    I'll make it worth your while. ;)

Well, maybe not since i don't have the right parts to interest you.

But I know a good place to get some chicken wings!

Plus you get to watch me work my evil genius magic!

LOL! i'll keep that in mind.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• MacLeod
    edited May 2009
    Quit leg humping John.

:D

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited May 2009

I have a new pair of sr124dvc that need to be properly mounted on my Nissan Xterra.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Jstas
    edited May 2009
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    I have a new pair of sr124dvc that need to be properly mounted on my Nissan Xterra.

Cool, I'll get my tek screws and power drill! You'll have SR's on your roof in no time! ;):p

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2009
    There has to be a place to put at least a cubic foot enclosure somewhere.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2009
    Most GM doors can fit really large drivers. I have 8s in my front doors with little modification. We did a H3T a while ago. I cant remember where we put the amp...probably on the back wall, but it was a single 10" in a vinyled enclosure that basically extended the center console to the cup holders at the back seat. Looked pretty stock.

I wouldn't go back to the same shop if they said they cant use your factory radio...you can.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it