Panasonic Launches First In-Car Blu-Ray DVD Player

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited April 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Panasonic_Blu_Ray.jpg
From Jalopnik:
Panasonic is launching the first in-car Blu-Ray DVD player, the CN-HX900D, for those who need to watch HD videos on a 7-inch screen while waiting in the drive-thru at McDonalds.

The CN-HX900D is a Windows-powered unit with the usual offering of GPS, CD/DVD player, amp, built-in 40 GB hard drive, Bluetooth, and 7-inch LCD screen. Combine this with the option CY-BB1000D Blu-Ray player and you've got the nicest in-car setup this side of Pimp My Ride.

Yo Dawg! We put a Blu-Ray DVD in your car so you can watch Space Buddies in HD while you crash into a wall!

http://jalopnik.com/5222805/panasonic-launches-first-in+car-blu+ray-dvd-player

More info: http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/panasonic_launches_first_bluray_player_for_your_car.php

Apparently this is so new, there isn't much info available yet. Also, so far, no official word on whether it is slated for the U.S. market or not.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited April 2009
    Oh, thats not gonna be cheap.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2009
    Are you really gonna benefit from a BD with a 7" screen?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2009
    I've seen some "backseat entertainment systems" in conversion vans that have a 20"-30" drop down LCD screen. I can see a market for it. Especially since BluRay has more space and available bandwidth for multi-channel audio of all kinds.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2009
    I could see this in a RV, but on a 7" screen? Won't take off IMO.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I dont see this taking off anywhere but on Pimp My Ride.

Blu-Ray is already doing poorly for regular tv's due to the fact that you can buy standard DVD's for $5 now and DVD players for $30. Kinda hard to sell $300 players and $40 movies as competition. If you have a $1000 tv then you can benefit from the better picture quality but since most people dont - and NOBODY does in a car, and considering car DVD players cost $300+, cant see too many people going this route.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2009
    That is too funny. Send me two of them. I want a job at Panasonic. Considering that you can get $30 16GB memory cards for easy portable music storage it tosses out the music argument for BR. They can't hardly sell SACD's. BR audio is not going to fly for a long time if ever.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben