Need recommendations: 6.5" 2-way components

rfairwea
rfairwea Posts: 3
edited May 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I know this is a Polk forum but looking for some objective guidance - I don't have a quality car audio shop nearby to do any serious auditioning so looking to narrow my list before I travel to finalize my decisions.

I'm looking for a 6.5" component set that will go into my '97 Porsche 911 - the head unit is a Becker and my intent is to utilize 1 (or both) of the Helix HXA-400 MkII amps I have on my bench.

It's really important that I maintain a stock appearance in the vehicle so I need the driver & tweeter will be on the lower part of the door behind the factory grill - approx 3" from eachother. I'll be able to set the driver & tweeter at pretty much any angle I want. I'll most likely use passive crossovers (presumably what comes with whatever I buy).
Also...there is no room for a sub in the car...so the bass I get in the car needs to come from this component set.
I'm not even sure I'm going to run a rear stage...but if I do, I really need something that will fit into the factory 4x6 cutouts.

Now to the essence of my question...I'm trying to narrow my search list for components. I'm not trying to waste money but not concerned if the best choice will be $500-800.

I've been seriously looking at the SR6500...my previous car had a DynAudio component set (which I loved) so I've given a bunch of thought to the Esoterec Sys 242/242GT. From the research I can do online, it seems like Focal, Rainbow Profi, CDTAudio, Diamond Audio Hex Pro, etc... also offer 2-way component sets that seem to be good potentials based on their published numbers.

I really appreciate any expertise & suggestions...hopefully I've provided enough information to get some helpful direction.

Thanks much,

Rick
Post edited by rfairwea on

Comments

• ahardy17
    ahardy17 Posts: 84
    edited May 2009
    if you must have components and want some bass from 6 1/2's you might want to look at Infinity Kappa 60.9cs compnent systems. They offer CLEAN sound and Infinity has their own woofer design to provide more surface area yielding better bass response.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108609CS/Infinity-Kappa-60-9cs.html?showAll=Y&tp=106
    In-Car:
    Head Unit: Sony MEX-1GP
    Door speakers: Infinity Kappa 680.9cs
    Rear speakers: Polk db690
    Subwoofers: Memphis Audio 15-M3124
    Amps: Pioneer GM5300T, Kenwood KAC 6020, Memphis Audio MCD1.1100

In-Home:
    Harmon/Kardon AVR 230
    Harmon/Kardon DVD 101
    Yamaha RX-V995
    Bose 161
    Bose 901