LSi7 reviewed in Stereophile

Options
hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Some quotes from Robert J. Reine

"I've heard no other speaker costing less than $2000.00/pair whose HF performance approached that of the Polk LSi7"

"Bass drums and timpani, as well as bottom-register synthesized drums, were realistic and dramatic on all recordings"

"I doubt there's another affordable speaker that can approach the overall performance of the Polk LSi7"

Good work Polk!
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by hoosier21 on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    Options
    hoosier21,
    thanks for sharing, interesting...I think this is the first lsi7 review out there...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Shack, thanks for the info...it's interesting to note these comments from Goodsound! folks, towards the end of LSi7 review:
    The LSi9 is everything the LSi7 is, and then some. Most notably, it has a little more punch. It doesn’t really go all that much deeper in the bass -- just enough -- but it manages to connect down low even more forcefully. And, coupled to that deeper bass, the mids are a smidgen more voluptuous sounding. Soundstaging, high-frequency extension, and general tonal characteristics are more or less equal. I like the LSi9 better because it does a few more things -- but it’s also more money, and that can certainly make or break any decision.

hmmm decision decision.... :(
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thats what it came down to for me. I really wanted the nines, but it just wasn't in the budget at the time. But I know in the future when I want to upgrade I will be getting the nine's at use my 7's as surrounds. That system will kick some **** IMO.

But for now I am more than happy with the 7's. Glad to see there are some reviews on them because I feel that they are overlooked in the LSi line.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The Stereophile issue w/the LSi 7 review also has a response from Matt near back of the mag. The manufacturer's responses can be very interesting.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by meestercleef
    The Stereophile issue w/the LSi 7 review also has a response from Matt near back of the mag. The manufacturer's responses can be very interesting.

Can you post it? Please? :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Don't have it w/me, will try to remember to do it later.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2003
    Options
    We'd like to thank Robert Reina for his well-written and balanced review of the Polk Audio LSi7. We think that Mr. Reina did an excellent job of describing the many strengths of the LSi7, such as its wide dynamic range, "extraordinary retrieval of detail and ambience," its wide, deep, precise imaging, and its exceptional high-frequency resolution. In addition, we would like to thank Mr. Reina for an unusually insightful and accurate discussion of the tradeoffs made in designing smaller loudspeaker systems, such as the LSi7, that offer both performance and value. We think that Mr. Reina's comments and comparisons will be a very helpful guide to anyone looking for a speaker system in this price range. As always, however, listeners should decide for themselves, and we hope that the LSi7s will be first on their audition list.

We would also like to thank John Atkinson for continuing to provide some of the most relevant loudspeaker measurements and analysis available in print. Most interesting in the measurements of the LSi7 is the identification of a resonance at 900 Hz from the small port on the front baffle. For clarification, this small front port, or ARC (Acoustic Resonance Control) port, functions to suppress the internal front-to-back standing-wave resonance of the cabinet by resonating out of phase and at the same frequency - approximately 900 Hz in the LSi7. The waterfall plot shows very little delayed resonant energy for the complete system in this region, which is good objective testimony to the effectiveness of the ARC port in suppressing this cabinet resonance.

For those without Mr. Atkinson's skill or equipment, a subjective evaluation can be made simply by blocking the ARC ports for an A/B comparison. They have no effect on the low-frequency tuning of the system.

Once again, our thanks to Stereophile for reviewing the Polk Audio LSi7.

Matthew Polk
    Polk Audio