LS f/x placement in a 5.1 setup

caseymou
caseymou Posts: 327
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Ok I bought hoosier's LS f/x's and now I need a little advice on placement.
1st question: Bi or Di polar?
2nd question: On side walls firing foward and backward or on back wall firing left and right?
3rd question: Height and position in relationship to viewing area? Possibly a complex question.

Thanks guys in advance.
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• caseymou
    edited February 2003
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Casey,

You have to decide where you're going to put the speakers to determine if you're going to be using them in bi or di pole mode.

1. Are you going for a 5, 6, or 7.1 setup?
    2. What are you running as surrounds right now, if any.
    3. Where are you current surrounds now?
    4. Do you like the sound of them, be it a direct firing or bi/dipole speaker?

You gotta give us a lil more to work with rather than to just blindly tell you what you need to do with your system....ya know?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • caseymou
    edited February 2003
    As title of post says my setup is 5.1
    Current surrounds have been disconnected to be sold on ebay (RTE35's). All I really need to know is bi or di and side walls or rear wall. I should be able to figure out placement on walls myself.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by caseymou
    All I really need to know is bi or di and side walls or rear wall. I should be able to figure out placement on walls myself.

You decide......

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/technology/bidipole.php?category=6&speaker=186
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • caseymou
    edited February 2003
    Thanks brett. That answers my question precisely.
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited February 2003
    The way I prefer my Ls/fx' is dipole on stands BEHIND the listener...I know this is wrong to most...but I like it as the best set up IMO

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    caseymou run them all bi pole. end of story. you'll love the sound as I do. bi pole if they are on the rear walls, or side rear wall, dipole if they are mid wall facing you.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • caseymou
    edited February 2003
    Conflicting answers. I guess I will have to try it both ways. Thanks guys.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Since I have rear surrounds, I have my 1000's mounted 6.5 feet high directly at each side of the couch set on dipole. Love the results.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • caseymou
    edited February 2003
    Can you check my thinking on this? The LS f/x are a kind of a triangle and are, of course, marked left and right. I would assume that during dipole operation the speaks facing each other would be in phase with one another and the speaks facing the side walls would be out of phase. Mounting on the back of these speaks allows them to be hung upside down so the triangle fires downward instead of upward. Since I wanted the speakers to point roughly towards the listeners, I mounted them this way. But I reversed the left and right speakers. Does this sound right to you guys?