Out with the old....

badfireguy
badfireguy Posts: 11
edited April 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright, I'm finally going to replace two of my favorite subs. (M104's) I couldn't resist buying a butt-load of SR-104's, (six at this time) I am currently running a pair of Alpine MRD-M501"s to the subs, a pair of MRV-T420's running mono to a pair of custom Toby 6x9's with Polk tweeters in the rear, and a Carver M-4120 bi-amped to a set of Momo 6500's in the front of my Nissan Frontier extended cab pickup. I have been very happy with this setup, but I want to try to get more detail in the system. The only quibble I have with this system is that at high volume, ( it gets VERY loud!) The Momo tweeters tend to get a little harsh. I am considering changing the 6500's out with more expensive components. I've been looking at some higher end Focal's, Dynaudio, and Vifa speakers. I have not been able to find anyone in the Dallas area that stocks the SR components from Polk. My questions, are;
How much difference in SQ can I expect from the SR-104's? Does anyone know where I can actually hear a set of SR-6500's? I have absolutely no problem throwing insane amounts of cash in order to improve the system, but have a very hard time buying something I can't hear for myself before buying.
I have installed enough Dynamat to cover a small aircraft hanger, so I should be able to hear any added detail. Anyone have experience with any of the speakers? I would appreciate your opinoins very much. My amps, crossovers, capacitors, etc. are in a stealth enclosure in the area that used to be the extended area of the cab. It is an absolute **** to take this thing apart, so I would prefer to make all of the changes at one sitting.

Thank you,

Cary Crager
If God had intended for us to listen to anything made by Bose, surely he would not have given us ears.
Post edited by badfireguy on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2009
    That is the biggest problem with the SR series. NOBODY CARRIES THEM!!! I live just outside Chattanooga, Tennessee and there isnt a place to listen to SR speakers for 2 hours in any direction! Thats just STUPID! These are phenomenal speakers and I dont understand why Polk doesnt get them out there more.

The SR speakers have a very natural and smooth sound to them. The midbass, while not having the most "punch" still has great energy and the 6500's will play down to 40 Hz with ease. The midrange is superb.

The SR tweeters are very smooth BUT they are extremely directional so youll have to do some work on the install to get them sounding their best. If I were king of Polk Id ditch the ring radiator in favor of a nice soft dome. Still they are very good tweeters.

The SR subs are top notch. I would put them up against the best on the market and feel pretty good about how theyd do. My single 12 is awesome. Virtually ruler flat all the way down to 20-25 Hz with plenty of output. The 10 might roll off a little more below 40 Hz compared to a 12 but it should still sound great.

The SR line is quite excellent. Ive had mine up against most of the best gear on earth used by some of the best SQ competitors on earth and done pretty well.

Now if money is no object, DLS Nobellium all the way! Morel Elate with a close 2nd! Simply flawless speakers right there but then we're talking about $2000 in speakers so theyd better be.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2009
    Hertz and Rainbow also have some nice offerings.

I don't think that you can go wrong with the SR's.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • badfireguy
    badfireguy Posts: 11
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't find a display for the SR's! I thought I was just getting old. I got the SR-104's installed last night and I have to tell you, I was impressed. If they get better after the 40-60 hours of break in, I know I made the right decision. Heavy as hell though. I don't have a problem with aiming the tweeters. I came up with a pretty nifty solution when I installed the MM-6500's. I can point them anywhere. I stumbled across a pretty incredible 7" driver yesterday, and should tell you about it. I was looking for a particular Vifa speaker and came across a new driver from of all companies, Dayton. It's the new reference 7" and I have to tell you, it sounds incredible! Toby corporation in Fort Worth, is one of the best speaker manufacturers I have ever come across. I have had the priviledge of calling Toby Guinn my friend for almost thirty years, and if you have not heard any of his home speakers or custom car sub enclosures, you are missing out! Anyway, he showed me this speaker he had just finished that has this midbass driver and an XT ring radiator tweeter. It was astonishingly accurate! I went online to Parts Express and found this driver for LESS THAN FIFTY BUCKS! I ordered a pair and will see if I can replicate what I heard in the demo room. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!
    If God had intended for us to listen to anything made by Bose, surely he would not have given us ears.