2 bd 1000.1's and 2 mm120

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Uh..Is this the right setup. I am not too sure of what i should be doing with the two polk momos. I've been hearing a lot of differant things, such as get a class ab amp, or 500.2 blah blah. I think i remember kim saying that if i ran two 1000.1bd's to each 12" sub seperatly than that would be a really good setup...

Also, If that is the setup i should use, should i get a component system, caps, etc? Thanks..
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    a 1000bd on each is really overkill and wasting your dollars.

a 1000bd with both momo's parallelled to it would be good...

basically.... any class D 1000 - 1200 watt amp, or any class AB that is 1000 - 1200 X 1 at 2 ohms bridged. (look at US amps.... they're killer).

a component system would be a good idea for the front stage -- coaxials or hell if u're loaded another comp set for the back.

an amp for the components front and rear is assumed. 125 - 150 + for the front.. 100 - 125 for the back or just something in the middle thats 4 channel.

caps are a debate -- i say 1 per 750 wrms conditional upon your electrical system being up to par. others say none at all.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2003
    i have 1 bd1000 running my 2 mm120s and im overpowering them
    the bd1000 puts out around 1200watts rms
    the subs are 500watts rms
    im giving each sub 600rms
    if you put 1 bd1000 on 1 sub you would almost be tripling the amount of power its rated at
    as far as components
    go for it
    theyre well worth the investment
    and for caps i have a 1farad cap hooked up to my bd1000
    i think theyre worth the money
    some dont think so
    i do
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited February 2003
    Thankyou guys so much, you do not know how much money you have saved me. :). Anyways, about the component system, how should i go about installing that, or is there any good place to point me in the right direction.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    well i think we saved you about 600 bucks or so (retail on teh 1000bd).... lol.

far as teh comp set goes -- chances are you've got a 5.25 / 6.5 or 6x9 inch hole in your door... the comp sets are 6.5 inch so if u've got 5.25, take a jig saw and cut the hole out bigger OR (more easyt to do -- go and buy the OLD momo comp set which came in 5.25 size and is still available on ebay and **** like that)... if its a 6x9 hole -- go to your local audio store and tell em you need a ABS plastic adaptor plate.. its just a piece of plastic that screws to the 6x9 inch hole and gives u a round 6.5 hole for the comp woofer.

then u can just pop your tweeter like inthe top of the door near the sail panel or on yoru dash or wherever you like. both will have a wire that goes to the crossover (size of a pack of cigarettes) and then the crossover wires to the amp speaker output for that channel (like front right or whatever).
  • Systems
    edited February 2003
    so youre saying that you shouldn't have an amp like the rockford fosgate 1000.1 bd powering just one mm12? because i have an 800.2 powering my one mm12, and it blew...i dont know if it was because i underpowered it or overpowered it, but i do know that the sub didnt sound **** right before it blew, it didnt seem like i was pushing the amp too hard.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    nah dude you're misunderstanding me...

if you have ONE momo 12... that requires like 5 - 600 watts. now the rockford 1000bd will do like 550+ at 4 ohms .... so it'll power 1 momo perfectly... but if you go and buy another momo, there's no need to buy a 2nd amp because that same amp will put out 1100+ at 2 ohms (two 4 ohm subs hooked up).... so all i meant was it'll push one or two the same way.. no need to double up on amps.
  • Kenny W
    Kenny W Posts: 8
    edited February 2003
    oh, ok thats straight
    What's that nasty rattle? Oh, its a Civic.
  • TommyIsPHAT
    TommyIsPHAT Posts: 9
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    i have 1 bd1000 running my 2 mm120s and im overpowering them
    the bd1000 puts out around 1200watts rms
    the subs are 500watts rms
    im giving each sub 600rms
    if you put 1 bd1000 on 1 sub you would almost be tripling the amount of power its rated at
    as far as components
    go for it
    theyre well worth the investment
    and for caps i have a 1farad cap hooked up to my bd1000
    i think theyre worth the money
    some dont think so
    i do
    -Cody

Call me stupid, But how are you running two subs off the BD 1000.1. Sorry for all the questions and thanks greatly in advance.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2003
    theyre bridged
    another words
    connect the positive to the positive on the sub
    and the negative to the negative on the sub
    do that to each sub(2 different wires)
    then take the other 2 positive ends...put them in one channel
    then the other negative ends...put them in one channel
    and i cracked the spider on both of them
    i have to turn the gain down more...