Question about Polk DB6501 components

hutru01
hutru01 Posts: 5
edited April 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an older Blaupunkt Amp thats rated 50Wx2 RMS (4 ohms). I have had it for many years but it still works great. Anyhow, I am in the market for a decent pair of components and came across the db6501s. I see that they are rated at 100 RMS.

- Will my Blaupunkt amp be sufficient to push these speakers?

My plan is to push a set of components with my 2 channel Blaupunkt amp and then run coaxials in the rear doors straight from the deck which is a Kenwood (22x4 RMS) head unit.

I am not concerned with the amount of bass that will be coming from either of the mid drivers in the doors. This is because I am gonna run a single Resonant Engineering 12" SE subwoofer (600 RMS at 2 ohms) in a custom ported box. (My car being a Subaru Legacy wagon, lack of bass will not be an issue).

All I want to ensure is that these components will get loud and clear enough to compliment the bass in the rear. I am not planning on doing any competitions nor do I care about SPL or SQ. I just want them to be heard along with the subwoofer and not be distorted.

Any advice and comments are appreciated.
Post edited by hutru01 on

Comments

• cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited April 2009
    amp mids, use HU front channels on tweets with passive crossover, rears on rears. i believe that would work well
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • hutru01
    edited April 2009
    Thats an idea. I hadn't thought about that. I wouldn't even need to install the crossovers then would I?
  • cadenceclipse
    edited April 2009
    depends on hu crossovers if it has em then your right, u don't, otherwise tweets def. need HPF
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • hutru01
    edited April 2009
    The head unit is a Kenwood KDC-MP435U and it definitely has Front and Rear HPF. See below.

headunitfilters.jpg

The only pain the arse will be adding an additional set of speaker wire for either the tweeters or mids.
  • hutru01
    edited April 2009
    So if I run the mids off my Blaupunkt amp, which has both a LPF and HPF, would I not use either of those filters since this is a 6.5 inch mid driver?
  • cadenceclipse
    edited April 2009
    if amp has bandpass(lpf and hpf) than mids will be ok however u CAN try using HU also, steeper HPF slopes probably won't hurt mids. i keeep seeing arguments but i am a firm believer in steeper slopes(more filterage). as far as tweets u WILL need passive since HU only ghoes up to 220hz and you'll want something more in the 4k range
  • hutru01
    edited April 2009
    ^ So how are you suggesting I run this setup?

Tweeters --> crossover --> HU?

Mids --> Blaupunkt amplifier (use which filter?) - The amp has LPF, HPF, and off
  • cadenceclipse
    edited April 2009
    tweets, yes, mids, if amp has bandpass, yes, if amp has only 1 or the other, use LPF and use HPF on HU, understand?