My new Onkyo TX-SR600

Options
Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited March 2003 in Electronics
Well, its been about a week now that I got all my new goodies, so I thought I would write my own little review of my stuff. This review pertains to my Onkyo receiver. Now, it should be mentioned, I know nothing about how to review a receiver; I just know what I like and what I don't like.

Lets start with the positives. I really like this receiver. There was a distinquishable difference in quality from this receiver compared to my old Sony receiver. The sound is much better. I could tell it was much more honest in reproducing the sounds. It seems to lack the additional flavoring that the Sony provided. I especially notice this with CD's. Poor recordings still sound poor, but the Onkyo brings more life out of recordings of higher quality.

I really like the surround capabilites as well. I've only watched a handful of DVD's since I got it, but I have been impressed. Terminator 2 was incredible. The opening scene of **** where the gatling gun is shot, literally made me jump off my couch from the effects of the gun whizzing right by my ear from behind. Very cool. Not a much better way to make a better fan out of new gear than by immediate gratification.

The input settings are a double-edged sword. They are versatile, yet they were a little tricky for a newbie like me. I am still really trying to get a grasp for them all as I try to perfect my settings and speaker alignment and placement. Once I did get into the settings and was able to get sound and navigate the settings, the learning curve went pretty quick.

Lets see, what else. Its not cheap looking. It feels really sturdy. The documentation is more than ample. I like the remote. I am going to try to "teach it" later today.

Oh, I almost forgot the part I am most happy with. Now, when I got this, I was hoping that it would inject new life into my R series speakers. It did a little. I could tell the sound was better. Even my girlfriend commented, unprovoked, that familiiar CD's and DVD's were clearly better. The most signifcant improvement I have noticed however is the quality of bass coming from my subwoofer. I also moved it within my room, so that has some effect, but the bass is now much, much cleaner and prettier. Before the Onkyo, when I listened to music, and some DVD's, I could just tell that the soundstage was created from the speakers and subwoofer. That separation is much less obvious now. The quality and character of sound from the subwoofer is more seemless and better matches my speakers. This has been the biggest surprise, and I really like it.

So yeah, thats what I have thought of it so far. I think its great, and I am happy that I decided to go with the 600 rather than the 500.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Shizelbs,

Congrats on your new receiver - I REALLY like mine. And it truly is a "Best Buy" for the bucks, I believe.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • CRUNCH
    CRUNCH Posts: 10
    edited February 2003
    Options
    :lol: thats so funy you said that about ****, it was the first i watched with my new system-onk 600, rm6700,polk404. when that gun went off i was looking down and i jumped from the couch and my dog ran for the room:lol::lol::lol:
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited February 2003
    Options
    ****, I have the same receiver and really love it.

If you watch movies in the dark, order the lighted remote for the TX-SR700. You can get it for $45 at onkyousa.com or clubonkyo.com. It's the exact same remote as the TX-SR600's, but it's backlit.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks Geekmedic,

I think I will just try to memorize the key buttons on the remote. Heck, it may give me the excuse to just upgrade to the 700 another day. Not likely, but maybe.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    600 well worth every penny!!!!
    My 787 came with the back lit remote but it also has an lcd display to tell you what mode you are in. Also has large macro capabilities. It took about 10 seconds to learn and operate my Lutron lighting system. I think the remote ran for $100 when the reciever first can out. Its very cool!!!!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Shizelbs,

I just got this email from Onkyo and thought that I'd post this here to letcha know. If for nothing else, you can be purchasing direct from the manufacturer, and you get a whole speaker system to boot......You just got your other receiver less than a month ago, so if this is gonna save ya some coin, then might be worth the look........
    Save a lot of green as Onkyo U.S.A. celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Shop Onkyo specials for the month of March.

We have put together two of our top selling models to create one great home theater package, the TX-SR600PKG. That’s right, for the month of March you can purchase a factory reconditioned TX-SR600 Digital Surround Receiver and the SKS-HT500 Home Theater Speaker Package for only $499. That’s a savings of over $300 when compared to the suggested retail price of $830.

The highly rated TX-SR600 Receiver includes all the features needed for a state-of-the-art home theater experience including Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES Processing, HDTV Capable Component Video Switching, 4 Digital Inputs, On-Screen Display and a Powerful Learning Remote for Easy Operation. Add the SKS-HT500 Speaker Package and you’ll hear all the highs and lows you’ve come to expect from the leader in sound quality. This six-piece speaker system features two-way speakers and a powerful 150-Watt Subwoofer so you won’t miss any of the special audio effects from your favorite movies.

This is a limited time St. Patrick’s Day Sale special and sale prices are effective through Monday, March 31, 2003. Quantities are limited to a first-come, first-served basis. Standard Onkyo warranties apply and we’ll even include free UPS ground shipping on all shipments made within the 48 contiguous states of the United States.

To learn more details about this and other specials please visit us today at http://www.shoponkyo.com.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Brett,

Thanks man. That would have been quite a deal a month ago for me. I can't really think of a way that I would be able to return my receiver to my local dealer and get in on this though. It would be nice to get that subwoofer. I am willing to bet its better than my Sony sub. If nothing else, this will motivate me to register with them so I can get these announcements myself.
  • brettw22
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If you're anywhere close to your 30 day time frame for returns, and ESPECIALLY if you're wanting to get hooked up with the sub, can't hurt to call the place you bought yours from to see if they'll do the return. Only thing that would suck is bein without it for a while while you wait for the other to arrive from Onkyo. Bonus would be a complete set of speaks to use in another room if ya wanted........

Out of curiousity, how much did you pay for yours when you got it beginning of Feb?
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I should still be within my 30 day return period. I paid $489 for it.
  • brettw22
    edited March 2003
    Options
    ah......I didn't read the whole special all that close.......It's a factory reconditioned, if that's a deal breaker or not........
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Nothing wrong with factory re-conditioned stuff. It means it was TESTED after they reworked it. Probably can't be said for all the NIB stuff. Plus, they come with the same warranty as the new stuff.

I have recommended that 600 model to about a dozen different people, and maybe ten actually spent the money. No complaints yet.

I recently took possesion of another big Onk power amp to drive the woofs in my AR-9's. It's a M-5090. 200wpc @ 8, and 300wpc @ 4. The AR-9 woofs dip down to about 2.9 ohms so I have no idea what it's capable of down there. It weighs about 75-80 lbs, and is Onk's second most expensive power amp ever, second only to the $4k M-510. They are both "Integra" models. It was $1,800 retail in 1984, and I just got it for $250. It has replaced the Onk M-506RS I was using. Just what I needed, ANOTHER spare power amp.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i 2 love my onkyo. it will serve me well for a few years till i get the urget to go pre prow.
  • brettw22
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If you dont' want the speakers, they have reconditioned receivers only for $321.75. Just lettin ya know what I'm seein there........
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Do you know if those deals include shipping?
  • MichaelJ
    MichaelJ Posts: 47
    edited March 2003
    Options
    thanks to geekmedic for the info about the backlit remote ... I bought my TX-SR 600 at the end of January because I am upgrading from stereo to home theater, the included remote is difficult to use when the lights are out.
    Mains: RTA15T
    Front Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Sufwoofer: Definitive Tech SuperCube I
    Audio: Onkyo TX-SR600
    HDTV: Mitsubishi 55" wide screen
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    Options
    MichaelJ,

Not trying to pick a fight, but how much remoting are you doing during a movie? For me, all I really need to locate is the volume button once I get the movie going. Of course I do make adjustments. They're fun. Tinkering is great. Nonetheless, I just don't find myself doing much other than adjusting my sub and my overall volume once the movie is going and the room is dark.
    Then again, its just $45, which is small beans compared to the rest of the electronics in my living room. Just curious as to what would make one want to do this upgrade.
  • brettw22
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Do you know if those deals include shipping?

The orig deal of $499.99 for the package does specify that they are not charging shipping, but I don't know about the receiver only. One more thing, the receiver for $321.75 is for the reconditioned, but then they also offer an extended warranty(which increases the warranty an additional 2 years) for an additional $53, so for $374.75, you can have the same receiver with 3x the warranty(if I'm reading that right) direct from Onkyo, all while saving yourself $125+tax that you already spent. Remember the purchases would need to be completed by the end of March......

Sign up as a member at http://www.shoponkyo.com./ and you can get all the information there as to what they're selling reconditioned, and any sort of promotional emails that they send. If you're gung ho with that line, then can't hurt to get an email from them every once in a while.........
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Not trying to pick a fight, but how much remoting are you doing during a movie?

Ever paused a movie for a phone call, restroom break, etc.?

I always watch TV in a dark room. The lighted remote is good to switch channels with (direct channel changing), to switch various modes, working my CD player/receiver (I also listen to music in the dark a lot of times), etc.

I don't use the lighted function on the remote often, but it does come in handy from time to time... especially before I learned where all the buttons were on the remote. $45 isn't that big of a price to pay for a lighted remote in my opinion.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • MichaelJ
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by geekmedic

Ever paused a movie for a phone call, restroom break, etc.?

I always watch TV in a dark room. The lighted remote is good to switch channels with (direct channel changing), to switch various modes, working my CD player/receiver (I also listen to music in the dark a lot of times), etc.

I don't use the lighted function on the remote often, but it does come in handy from time to time... especially before I learned where all the buttons were on the remote. $45 isn't that big of a price to pay for a lighted remote in my opinion.

geekmedic has it right ... when the phone rings, or someone needs to use the restroom, you have to find the pause and play/resume buttons.

Also, I do listen to music in very low light and I do like to replay some tracks and skip others.

And, I have to admit, I do fiddle with the volume and video setting (which vary from disk to disk)

In time, I will probably be able to find most of the buttons by feel in the dark, but until then, a bit of light helps ... and its only $45.
  • brettw22
    edited March 2003
    Options
    You guys are assuming that he uses his receivers remote for everything. I personally have 5 remotes that I haven't ever conglomerated into one remote. But even if i did, i can feel my way around the remote to find the buttons that i need to.

If you have to look to find the buttons, you're not devoted enough.......sit down and don't leave the couch for a week and see if ya learn...... ;)
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Love my SR-600. The remote (granted it's not back-lit but I've pretty much memorized all the buttons) Kicks major A$$. I can run my entire HT system (even the damn XBOX) with it. I've got the other remotes (total of 6 stowed away). My only complaint about the SR-600.......NO PRE-AMP outs which would be the only reason I would get rid of it and maybe upgrade to a 700 or 800.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TonyPTX
    My only complaint about the SR-600.......NO PRE-AMP outs which would be the only reason I would get rid of it and maybe upgrade to a 700 or 800.

Yep, that's the ONLY thing I wish my Onkyo had - pre-amp outs.

brettw22 - 5 remotes?! OUCH! Consolidate! Consolidate! Everybody's doing it! ;)
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • MichaelJ
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    You guys are assuming that he uses his receivers remote for everything. I personally have 5 remotes that I haven't ever conglomerated into one remote. But even if i did, i can feel my way around the remote to find the buttons that i need to.

If you have to look to find the buttons, you're not devoted enough.......sit down and don't leave the couch for a week and see if ya learn...... ;)

between a full-time job and college courses ... I don't get to spend enough time with my remote ... I'd love to get a whole week on the couch !!!!
  • bolson
    bolson Posts: 16
    edited March 2003
    Options
    How does the SR600 compare to Outlaw's 1050? I am looking for a receiver to match my new LSi7's. Eventually I would like to use the LSi7's as surronds when finances permit.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TonyPTX
    Love my SR-600. The remote (granted it's not back-lit but I've pretty much memorized all the buttons) Kicks major A$$. I can run my entire HT system (even the damn XBOX) with it. I've got the other remotes (total of 6 stowed away). My only complaint about the SR-600.......NO PRE-AMP outs which would be the only reason I would get rid of it and maybe upgrade to a 700 or 800.

No pre amp out? How can that be? I didn't know Onkyo made a receiver without pre outs. this is news to me. Guess I won't be looking at the SR600 afterall.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Edited...
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....