Re: Receiver Suggestions

Options
debussyj
debussyj Posts: 198
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Hi,

Just needed some new receiver suggestions. I've got a pair of LSI 15's enroute to my house, should arrive on Wednesday. They're going to replace my old RT 600's. I'll be replacing everything else later. Anyway, for the meantime I'm going to drive these babies with my current Marantz SR880 Receiver, which will only be doing 140Watts into 4 Ohms for the time being. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to say the Marantz SR14EX or the SR18EX or perhaps the Marantz SR9200. All of these babies will do 140 watts at 8 Ohms , so I figure like 170-180 watts at 4 Ohms. Obviously I'm a Marantz head, but does anybody have any other suggestions? I would love to but can't go separates because I just don't have the room. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!!!

Colleen
Post edited by debussyj on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2003
    Options
    If you're committed to a receiver instead of seperates, you're probably on the right track with the SR14/18EX. Obviously you'd want to stick with the upper-end receivers that can deal with 4-Ohm loads easily. Marantz is probably one of the better choices. If you want suggestions for demos, I'd say B&K, Pioneer Elite, Denon. Maybe Yamaha and Onkyo.

I should qualify this by saying that I don't have much experience with with these upper-tier receivers, or with the LSi Polks. I did get to play with an SR14EX a couple of years ago and it is an absolute TANK of a receiver. Weighs like 70lbs.

Jason