Soundstream Amps?

Atomic Turtle
Atomic Turtle Posts: 39
edited May 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm putting in a new system in my Subaru Forester, and I don't have a lot of experience with car audio. A couple of friends of mine who do know more than I have recommended I consider getting a Soundstream amp, but I'm really not familiar with them.

Anyone else here have some experience with Soundstream amps? I'll be using it with an Alpine 9886 head unit and Polk speakers which I haven't bought yet, but will probably be MM 6501s. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Post edited by Atomic Turtle on

Comments

• blakeh
    blakeh Posts: 491
    edited April 2009
    I had a Soundstream amp in my Mazda Miata mated with an Alpine headunit. I thought it sounded great. Then again, it was my first aftermarket car amp installation. The guys I trust all told me that Soundstream was the amp to get.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2009
    Baqck in the day soundstream was the whip. As of today, I'm not so sure, from what I've been hearing, they are not what they used to be. If you could find one of the old reference series (blue of chrome) on e-bay, you'd have a killer amp
  • Atomic Turtle
    Atomic Turtle Posts: 39
    edited April 2009
    Interesting. I was kind of thinking along the same lines, actually. In fact, there's a Reference 1000 SX on EBay right now, with a buy-it-now of $300. I've had a couple people tell me the "S" series is better than the "SX", though, so I think I'll hold off and maybe buy one of the two 700 S amps that are going off next week.

Thanks for the feedback and the advice, guys! I really appreciate it.
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited April 2009
    soundstream makes nice amps, whatcha need it for, mm6501s? sub? proly better options...polk makes some nice 4 channels...cadence also...
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2009
    I have no clue where people hear these negative things about any company. I can't find any negative press except from people who have never used a Soundstream product.

Yes, the old reference series was top notch. But, the reference series was re-released a couple years ago to original specifications. I've used Soundstream in several installs since I saw them back on the market when the released the Van Gogh series. I have yet to have a problem or be disappointed by anything in the Soundstream catalog. Of course I haven't touched a Soundstream amplifier in about a year and a half but I really doubt things changed.

If you want to get a Soundstream amplifier, go for it. If I was in the market for a new amp, Soundstream would be on the short list of companies to consider for me.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • GTFreak
    GTFreak Posts: 25
    edited April 2009
    i use soundstream in my newest install which i put in on april 9th and it sounds great i wouldn't trade it for nothing.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2009
    I would not any have any issues running their amps.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited April 2009
    I still have a class a 50 ,class a 100 and a Reference 700sx that run great. The older amps in my opinion are better built and sound better, Why should I buy new when these guys work great !

Ive had my class a 100 since 1990 something put it through a couple sound contests , it will just about handle anything you hook up too it. !!

and you can cook on it too when you been cranking for a while !
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Mahna Mahna
    Mahna Mahna Posts: 14
    edited May 2009
    I have on old Soundsteam Grainte 180.6 (6 channel with built in xover)

Still runs great and gets LOUD :cool:

Used to have a Reference 500 and two reference 300 when I competed in IASCA....many moons ago.
    If you come to Canada, remember our bears like no foam lattes......thank you :D