Searched Threads - Need Advice

Options
styles
styles Posts: 22
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Hey guys..

I'm looking for a pair of surround speakers to complete my 5.1 system. I use it mainly for HT.

I was thinking about FXi50 for surrounds but after searching through old threads, I'm unsure of what to do. I've read some opinions on using RT series for "direct radiating" for surrounds for 7.1 set ups? How about for 5.1 set ups? How about using cheaper front floorstanding speakers for the surrounds?? (ie: R50)

Guess I'm looking for the "best" speakers to complete my current set up and replicate the theater experience within my 5.1 HT. This will be my last big purchase for my HT for sometime so I want to do it right.

Thanks.
Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

Fronts: RT2000I
Center: CSi40
Surrounds: FXi50 *waiting in box
Sub: PSW650

JVC DVD Player
Monster Cables
Post edited by styles on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Options
    some people prefer the direct firing rear sound.. others the diffused sounds you get from di/bi pole speakers. i tried both.. and in my 5.1 set up. bipole was the way to go. Yes i tried direct firing RT800i's in the rear. While they sounded totally awesome.. that is a big investment in money going with towers in the rear.

the FXi50's you are looking at will sound great. i'd try them both out.. go to a shop where you can return them within say like a week or two. try them both out see which one fits your likes and your room acoustics. I went with the now gone... fx/300i on my rear 5.1
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • styles
    styles Posts: 22
    edited February 2003
    Options
    What do you think about using the R30 or R50 as rear surrounds in place of the FXi50s? Both of those floorstanding speakers are close to the price range of the FXi50s.

On a sad note, the CCs around my area have the crappiest sound rooms I've seen. I haven't even been able to listen to a FXi50 because they don't stock them. (at the time I went, only had FXi30s)
    Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

Fronts: RT2000I
    Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50 *waiting in box
    Sub: PSW650

JVC DVD Player
    Monster Cables