Who has a better system than me?

BIG MAC
BIG MAC Posts: 3
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 97 jeep cherokee, jacked up, and its a beauty. Inside i have a nice alpine cd player, this years Kicker solo baric(12 inch L7 square, with a big **** custom box made from Sound World, this years 6500D MTX Road Thunder Amp, this years Lightening Audio Bolt 1 Farad Capacitor, and of course, this years Polks EX352 speakers all around.....
BIG MAC :lol:
Post edited by BIG MAC on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by BIG MAC
    I have a 97 jeep cherokee, jacked up, and its a beauty. Inside i have a nice alpine cd player, this years Kicker solo baric(12 inch L7 square, with a big **** custom box made from Sound World, this years 6500D MTX Road Thunder Amp, this years Lightening Audio Bolt 1 Farad Capacitor, and of course, this years Polks EX352 speakers all around.....
    BIG MAC :lol:
    alot of people... LOL.. I just saw a friends install... Try JBL 13.5 inch W7 subs.. 2 of them powered by 4 JBL 1000 watts mono amp.. An amp for each voice coil to start with his sub system. He has 2 sets of Polk Momo 6.5 components to handle his highs.. sheesh I dont need to go any farther than that. Also check out the car's in the polk audio customer/dealer install site. Mines is there its a 99 GMC Yukon. But the bottom line is.. we all love music and we are all audiophiles.. ONe big happy family
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BIG MAC
    BIG MAC Posts: 3
    edited February 2003
    jamas33, i know and i didnt write that about my car/system, one of my friends got on w/out my knowing and typed it?
    what kind of system do you have?
    i also have more than my friend typed, plus others than the system, like rims, etc
    Yea i looked at your car, pretty pimp, but you should move your subs into the middle of your back area, instead of being right behind your seat
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2003
    Um...JBL doesn't have a W7 13.5 inch subwoofer. Also, they don't have a 1,000 watt amplifier. They have a 1200 watt amplifier and a 600 watt but nothing rated in between.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2003
    whats wrong with subs firing into the seats?
    my system with the subs firing into the seat
    what alpine cd player do you have?
    ive been looking at headunits lately
    mainly at pioneer premier found one i really like
    pricey though
    -Cody
  • Col_S
    Col_S Posts: 16
    edited February 2003
    I think you mean JL Audio not JBL.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    I'M IN HELL!

Jbl w7 -- ya... ... uh boy...

**opens the bottle** I knew i wasn't drinking enough lately.

This is where i look backon the forum commandment to be nice to the newbies and bite my tongue...

amen.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    You know what sucks about having dB series speakers all around?

It's no fun looking at the Crutchfield catalog anymore because there isn't anything to "upgrade" to.

The Kenwood eXcelon unit I have is so feature packed too that anything that I could "upgrade" too is only marginally better.

Such a tortured life I lead! :lol:

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas

you didn't tell me u had db's all around.... u lucky $h!t... the fact they've lasted this long is semi surprising... I've gone through like 4 pair of DX coaxials.... they keep dying on me... I think 200 watts per channel was too much for them... then i switched to 180... i think that was too much too..lol... scoped amps today -- down to 130's per channel and nothing sounds like its going to fall apart anymore (for now at least).:p

i take it u've got the "Casket basket" components eh? They're better than momo's aren't they ?
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    I got them on clearance when Polk ended the line Crutchfield had old stock sitting around and the reduced them to about half price. I couldn't really afford it at the time but I couldn't pass them up. I already had a dB sub and was going to put the 6.5 inch components in my Thundredbird but never got around to it. They sat, in teh original packing, for about 2.5-3 years until I finally got off my dead butt and put them in my truck.

I'm only running about 60 watts through them right now and they seem to be working fine. My only real problem is that the cones hit the speaker grilles. I can fix it, I have just been waiting for warmer weather.

All the dB stuff had the "Casket Baskets" as far as I know. The sub can handle something like 600 watts. It's not all that much power but, I had many people mistake it for a pair of 12's when I was running only 100 watts RMS and 200 peak through it. Now its about 150-175 watts RMS and 300-350 peak. When I turn it up, it feels like it is kicking me in the back. The components are very nice and smooth. They have a clean sound and distortion is non-existent unless they are hitting the speaker grilles. Then the whole door panel and rear cab corners start shaking and rattling. The tweeters literally sing. They play LOUD too. So loud that 15 minutes of listening at 50% volume on the head unit equates to searing pain and a high pictched whistle for a few seconds after you shut it off.

That eXcelon 650D 5 channel that I am running the whole thing with never gets hot either. It's barely being taxed. Although, if I turned teh gain up farther, the speakers could handle it. I haven't been over-powering them though. I don't need to. They only have a sensitivity rating of about 88dB but the sound is so ful and rich that you don't really notice it. The magnets on the speakers are pretty beefy and the sub is quite heavy. I imagine they could handle excessive power but they are too valuable to destroy. I'd rather keep them.

I do believe that they are better than the MOMOs. Infact, I feel that they are the best automotive speaker Polk has ever made and I dearly want to see them bring them back. If I gathered all the specs and had some testing done, I think a very strong argument could be made that the dB series is probably the best automotive speaker ever made by any company. They use Polk's Dynamic Balance technology found in the RT series home theater speakers which are award winners many times over. Even teh super huge Signature Reference Theater 9000 system uses the technology. So basically, it's high end home audio equipment for you car and nothing I have heard from the more popular manufacturers comes close to the abilities of these speakers.

I know, a bit overboard but you have to hear it to believe it. I'm glad I took the chance and got the speakers. I'm also glad I only paid half price for them! :D I really haven't heard anything better. I've been to quite a few stores and listened to quite a few other stereos and nothing comes close. The plain black look is totally un assuming and most people dismiss them as Radio Shack rejects. Then the eXcelon face flips around, the head unit powers up and SHAZAAM! Jaws start hitting the floor. I have to fix the sub box because I really think it's way too small. I finally have the system balanced now I have to see how high I can go on the gains to hit peak performance. Right now though, when the truck is running and the exhaust system in burbling away with the windows shut and doors closed, 50% volume can be heard 25 feet away from the car, loud and clear. I've had it up higher while driving down the highway with windows closed and I see heads turn and stare and other shake thier heads. I never meant it to be loud, just clean and nice to listen to. The problem I have is that it is so clean and powerful that when other systems start distorting, this one is only playing extremely loudly. It's made me dizzy without ever realizing it. I'm still trying to figure out the happy medium between preserving my hearing and rocking out!

• Systems
    edited February 2003
    Um...JBL doesn't have a W7 13.5 inch subwoofer. Also, they don't have a 1,000 watt amplifier. They have a 1200 watt amplifier and a 600 watt but nothing rated in between.
    Yeah my bad typo.. its JL.. I just realized what I typed from looking back at it
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited February 2003

It's no fun looking at the Crutchfield catalog anymore because there isn't anything to "upgrade" to.

The Kenwood eXcelon unit I have is so feature packed too that anything that I could "upgrade" too is only marginally better.

Such a tortured life I lead! :lol:
    love my excelon too.. Hey I get those at their cost less 10 %.. its a deal I got with a friend who works for Kenwood.. anytime you need a new Kenwood let me know.. I'll hook you guys up.

Jerome
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited February 2003
    check this link.. I believe its a 1000 watt amp
    http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/10001.html
    I thought for a second I didnt see what I thought I saw with his install.. But go to Competition Soundworks in Cerritos, CA they did the fantastic install.. and yup.. those are 1000 watts amp
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by BIG MAC
    jamas33, i know and i didnt write that about my car/system, one of my friends got on w/out my knowing and typed it?
    what kind of system do you have?
    i also have more than my friend typed, plus others than the system, like rims, etc
    Yea i looked at your car, pretty pimp, but you should move your subs into the middle of your back area, instead of being right behind your seat

Yeah actually they are in the rear and in the middle behind the rear seats.. I probably have to enlarge it.. I need to upgrade though.. I'm thinking about replacing witht he Momo's 124 and going with 2 of the mono amps.. but I was adviced that those DB's are great subs.. oh oh.. to be human and to love music
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by jamas33

check this link.. I believe its a 1000 watt amp
    http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/10001.html
    I thought for a second I didnt see what I thought I saw with his install.. But go to Competition Soundworks in Cerritos, CA they did the fantastic install.. and yup.. those are 1000 watts amp

Yes, I understand that. However, your original post stated this:
    Try JBL 13.5 inch W7 subs.. 2 of them powered by 4 JBL 1000 watts mono amp..

JBL does not have a 1000 watt amplifier. They have a 600 watt and a 1200 watt amplifier. Unless you are refering to an older model which they may have had. I do not know for sure. All I know is that JBL does not currently have a 1000 watt amp in thier line-up.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    dude... u know... i got yelled at by just about everybody ... for complaining about the decrease in quality between the DB and the then "new" DX series.

you could bi amp all the DB coaxials -- not the DX.

the DB's had non resonant baskets -- no thte DX.

the DB had the most uncanny, beautiful, and utterly thrilling sound quality i've heard to this day short of Focal -- the DX are good, but not that good.

the DB subs could be driven WELLLLLL beyond their power range (much like the new momo's) whereas my DX 10's took their RMS and my DX 12's only took 350 when they're rated 400... (aint that peachy).

dont get me wrong, i love my DX comps and coax's -- he'll i've got *counting* 2 pair of comps // 3 pair of 6x9's // 1 pair of 6.5's currently in use -- two pairs of 6x9's decommissioned due to the fact that i blew them to high hell.

but the DB's were just a friggin better speaker -- god knows they COST enough -- 249.99 for a pair of 6x9's in 1998 would have been considered highway robbery if it were anything less than the good quality that it was.

u wanna talk about mistaking 1 sub for 2 subs -- how bout mistaking 4 6x9's for two 10's -- i ran 75 x 4 to 4 db 6x9's with about 0.75 cubic feet each in a psuedo ported isobaric box and the damn thing SLAMMMMMMMED. to this day -- i swear -- i still judge everything i do by the "good feeling" i got from hearing that mini system... and today was the first day since those many years ago that i finally got my newer truck to sound as good quality and "Feeling" wise as the other one did with just those 4 coax's (which is **** i know but hey)... i'm just ticked off i can't run full power -- its loud but not loud enough to freak out the neighbors... i had to give up a lot of decibles for the sake of properly balanceing both stages and the subs and getting optimum smoothness.

I hope the new momo's comin in summer live up to the legacy of the DB's... if they do... i'll be a happy camper .. since i desperately need new highs... my rears are ok, but my fronts are on their last leg -- even after replacement of some drivers and repair of others... they're just about dead... especially since i'm over driving them so much.

anywho i need sleep
    :)
  • Systems
    edited February 2003

JBL does not have a 1000 watt amplifier. They have a 600 watt and a 1200 watt amplifier. Unless you are refering to an older model which they may have had. I do not know for sure. All I know is that JBL does not currently have a 1000 watt amp in thier line-up.
    Yeah I know.. from reading back.. but man you LUCKY man. you got them DB's all the way around.. I have the DB subs.. and forgot who it was online.. but I was ready to replace it with Momo's but from really listening to both.. I think I'm gonna go ahead and saved the 500 dollars.. :) How do you like your excelon.. what model number is it? I have the z828 and looking to sell it... cuz I want the 859
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    MY head unit is a KRC-PS955. It's old. About 1997-1998 old. Bu the only things that the new one shave over it are System E's and conectivity with CR Changers and amplifiers. A few other doodads that are mostly unimportant too.

It's been in 2 different vehicles and has been attached to 3 different amplifiers. The latest interation being a Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X650D.

I like the head unit. It's versatile, has 4.5v pre-amp outputs and CD Changer controls. The radio tuner is nice and clear and it is a tape deck. The tape deck workls very well and has 3 levels of Dolby noise reduction with a frequency response range of about 32 Hz to 18.5 KHz which is impressive for a tape deck. The only issue I ever had with it was when running the full range speakers off teh 280 watt internal amp on the head unit, it would over-heat, start clipping and then reduce volume to almost nothing to save itself. While it's a good feature, I didn't like the fact that a high end head unit would do that. They have since fixed it by using a better MOSFET power supply in teh eXcelon units.

Otherwise, I like it and I can't think of a reason to buy a new one. It still looks like a radio that is all business too. There are some plashy lights and a spiffy display with teh RDS system but, it's not gaudy and moon-unit-ish like most of the newer stuff.