Any one else hear of doing this?

Options
jrgoswick
jrgoswick Posts: 159
edited March 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
A friend of mine told me the other day that I needed to occasionally rotate the drivers in my M12's to extend the life of the surrounds and motor assembly. It supposedly keeps the motor aligned and evenly wears the surround. The only downsides I see to this are creating leaks in the cabinets AND possibly puncturing a surround. I figured this would be the place to ask such a query.

Thanks polks,
JRG
Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
Onkyo M-501-Given to my father.
Onkyo DX-C730 CD Changer
Onkyo DV-BD507 Blu Ray player
Onkyo CP-1036A turntable with Grado, Audio Technique, and Azden cartridges(GOT CARTRIDGE??)
Polk Monitor 12's with RDO's and XO's
Polk CS300 Center
Polk Monitor Series 4 rears

EBAY is like cocaine. At first you only look, next thing you know, your house is full of crap you have no idea why you own.:eek:
Post edited by jrgoswick on

Comments

• AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Way Back in the days of old... We would rotate the 30 inch woofers

To alleviate the weight on the voice coil and spider.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I've rotated the drivers before when I was redoing a pair of vintage speakers. How would that create leaks in the cabinet and puncture the surrounds?
  • jrgoswick
    jrgoswick Posts: 159
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If you slip whilst re-installing drivers-OOPPPPPSSSSSS(usually followed by profanity). If you're lucky it's just a surround. The explanation that I got for the screw holes sounds kinda far fetched to me, but here goes-if the screw hole isn't properly reinforced(via gluing and pilot drilling the new hole) the screw can back out and cause a leak around the driver. Usually only happens at EXTREME dB levels(an Outlaw SPL competitor friend told me about this), the cabinet resonance with back it the rest of the way out. After all a wooden box is a wooden box. Told you it sounded kinda out there.
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Onkyo M-501-Given to my father.
    Onkyo DX-C730 CD Changer
    Onkyo DV-BD507 Blu Ray player
    Onkyo CP-1036A turntable with Grado, Audio Technique, and Azden cartridges(GOT CARTRIDGE??)
    Polk Monitor 12's with RDO's and XO's
    Polk CS300 Center
    Polk Monitor Series 4 rears

EBAY is like cocaine. At first you only look, next thing you know, your house is full of crap you have no idea why you own.:eek: