Concrete Speaker Stands

Options
candjhuntley
candjhuntley Posts: 125
edited March 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I'm putting together a theater system for a buddy which includes 2 x LSI9s and 1 x LSIC

He needs solid stands for these - and i've had a few designs we were thinking of - then he thought about just making the stands out of concrete (a lot of stuff in his home is made from concrte - kind of a specialty of his).

So my question is this - would he lose any sound quality using concrete speaker stands? If he uses them, does he need some kind of feet for them? What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Not my setup - but what I have put together for a friend (i.e. what mine would be if i had the money to invest :D )
Front: 2 x LSI-9
Center: LSI-C
Rear: 4 x M10
Sub: Elemental Design A2-300
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR806
Amp: Acurus 200x3
BD: HTPC
Television Programming: Dish ViP722
Video: Epson 6500UB Front Projector

If you're ever in St. Louis on a Sunday morning, come join us at the Hazelwood church of Christ for worship!
Post edited by candjhuntley on

Comments

• Mike21
    Mike21 Posts: 252
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I never heard of concrete stands, however, I have read that people have used cinder blocks for stands w/ reportedly good results. I think they put something like MDF boards between the top of the blocks and the speakers.

Mike
    PC stereo: Viper custom PC: Windows XP; ASIO4ALL; JRiver Jukebox> Pop Pulse USB to S/PDIF conv> Monarchy DIP > Musiland MD10 DAC > Parasound 2100 pre> Aragon 4004 MKII amp> Dali Ikon6 towers; Sunfire True Sub; PSA Duet, Ultimate outlet and Noise Harvestors.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2009
    Options
    You might want to consider some spikes to decouple the speakers from the stands.