Polk MM-SDA-ACM Mobile Stereo Dimensional Array.

inspiredsports
inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
NAD SS rigs w/mods
GIK panels
Post edited by inspiredsports on

Comments

• inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited March 2009
    Here's a huge combined photo collage of this beast.

I guess no one in the group has ever heard of or is familiar with one of these?
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,912
    edited March 2009
    I have one with the original box and manual but I have yet to install it. Mobile audio is not high up on my priority list right now. Sorry, but that's about all I have to offer.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2009
    I guess no one in the group has ever heard of or is familiar with one of these?

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I, like a few others here, have heard of this setup. And, get this, I actually SAW one in real life! Yeah, I know, whoda thunk?

The crossover doesn't operate side to side IIRC. It operates the SDA effect front to rear. It ends up drawing the sound stage a bit farther towards the rear and making it seem to float around your head instead of in front near the windshield. It makes the sound seem immersing.

It came before Alpine's time alignment stuff but it has a similar effect depending on how you set up the time alignment. Ultimately, it makes the sound stage seem deeper than it really is, just like Alpine's technology.

It will not be a similar effect to what you get in your home with your SDA speakers there.

That's what I remember about it. I also know that you need to have similar drivers front and rear otherwise the audible differences between them will be very apparent in this set up. Also, similar amplification is in order as well. There is a power limit to it too and you will need to size your amplification and speakers appropriately, including your subwoofer, to meet that power handling limit. I will admit that the limit on the subwoofer circuit can be a bit on the crippling side when trying to find a setup with the desired performance. Due to the power levels being a bit on the low side for most high quality components I would highly recommend sound deadening and lots of it in the vehicle you are installing this in.

This will not win you any competition and it will not necessarily provide you with a power house, slammin' system. It will give you a very nice audio experience in your car and a quite different one than what most are used to.

Good luck with it. At the minimum you have a piece of car audio history that was pretty ground-breaking but also quite ahead of it's time.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited March 2009
    lol, thanks for out bidding me you jerk!

:-p

Dont worry, no love is lost. I would like to hear your feedback once it is installed :)
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500