subwoofer making wired noiz

grim562
grim562 Posts: 2
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
i hooked up a 1800 watt amp to my 2 10inc kicker cvr but every time i turn the car on i hear a humming sound that comming from what the subs dose any one know how to get rid of this sound?
Post edited by grim562 on

Comments

• wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited March 2009
    You may get better results posting this in the car audio section of the forum. Welcome to Club Polk.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2009
    grim562 wrote: »
    i hooked up a 1800 watt amp to my 2 10inc kicker cvr but every time i turn the car on i hear a humming sound that comming from what the subs dose any one know how to get rid of this sound?

You probably have tinnitus from having a ridiculously loud car stereo. Unfortunately, it is permanent, and cannot be cured.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2009
    It's making "wired noiz" as opposed to what? Unwired noiz? What's noiz anyway? Is your post even in English?

Anyway, my superior deduction abilities have led me to believe that you have a ground issue and the "humming" "noiz" you hear is due to that. You need to inspect your ground point on your amplifier and head unit. Make sure your amplifier is grounded to solid metal, not a seat frame or trunk lid or anything silly like that. Make sure your head unit is grounded some place solid also, like the firewall. Don't use the ground in the factory harness, it's almost always noisy. These grounds should be solid and if you wiggle them, the connection should not be loose.

Also, check the wire for your radio antenna. A bad ground there can also cause noise.

If you have checked all of these and still have noise, check the engine ground strap. If it looks ratty, replace it. It's $5 at Pep Boys in the HELP! section. Also, check your battery cables. If you have massive amounts of corrosion on the battery terminals, clean them off. There is a primer here in the Car Audio forums I wrote up years ago on a safe and effective way to do so. Search for it. If you ground cable for the battery is real ratty, replace that too. That can be anywhere from $30 to $70 at Pep Boys depending on the vehicle.

If you still have noise problems, you either have something wrong with your audio electronics somewhere, some interference due to cheap RCA patch cables or a problem with your charging system.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited March 2009
    coming from what dose
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3