Drive in Movies?

Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Over the summer I like to go to the drive in a lot. It's cheaper (two movies for $7) and it's a lot of fun. Now that I have an amp in my car instead of just a head unit am I going to cook my battery from using my stereo for so long without the car running. When I first installed the amp I listened to the speakers while I put the door panels back on and my battery died in about 30 min.

Does anyone else have this problem? I know drive ins are kind of rare now but I was wondering what people with a trunk full of amps do when they go to a drive in to prevent their battery from dieing.
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2009
    You can get dual batteries and an isolator. That way you can completely run down one battery, but still have the other battery to start your car with.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • raidersrule76
    raidersrule76 Posts: 471
    edited March 2009
    Try looking into getting an Optima battery they are gel batteries and tend to last longer oh and +1 to exalted get two batteries. Good luck and try not to piss offf the other movie goers with too much bass.
    Sig to be updated after dealing with the insurance company:(:(:(
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2009
    Better yet. Go buy yourself a jump box and take it with you. Others will likely need a hand too. Also, start and idle your car during intermissions. The 10-20 minutes is enough to get you a good amount of juice back.

Also, remember, many others around you will have their stereos playing and some will even have high volumes like big dummies. Turn yours up enough that you can hear dialogs and such in detail but mooch off the bass output of others instead of cranking your rig and blowing out your battery.

Also, if your battery is quite old, you might want to replace it before you go. I gotta get a new battery for my truck. It's the original battery and the sticker says it's 8 years and 2 months old.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited March 2009
    they have drive-ins u can use your system with? sweet yeah plus 1 to exalted and jstas. whatabout just 1 nicer batt like a nice kinetic or yellowtop i guess for that matter? i'm only using 1 1400hc kinetic and i play my music at full power for hours and hours no prob. also have 5 farad cap... alternator would do it too i think. big 3 couldn't hurt
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2009
    Yea, the drive in broadcasts the movie on 87.9 and 530AM I think. It's pretty nice.

I only have 1 amp (not current I mean amplifier) so I probably do need a new battery because it dies in about 30 minutes. It's has some crusty stuff leaking out of the top of it so I can't imagine that's any good. I think that's sulfate crystals? I can't remember. I don't even have a sub in the car yet so I can't imagine it will last long once I put my sub in there.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2009
    Where are you? Because Drive-ins are going the way of the dinosaur. We have ONE up here in central Maine! And I haven't seen any in mid-Eastern Pa. where I grew up...none. I used to work at one close to my house when I was in H.S. closed...closed...closed!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2009
    I've been taking my kids to the drive-in for years. I just start my car up between movies, or part way into the movie if it's a long movie.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2009
    I'm in old orchard beach maine right now because I go to UNE, but normally I'm in New York and there are two I go to.

Check this out http://www.driveinmovie.com/mainmenu.htm
  • cnh
    edited March 2009
    Been to Old Orchard Beach a number of times and am familiar with UNE...you must be in medicine? On Spring-break? That's a great site. As I suspected Pa.s Drive-ins down 80 percent from its peak! Still more around than I would've assumed...only about 6 or so in all of Maine and most in the SOUTH...

They're still around. But it's not like it was years ago...when they were all over and the place to hang on the weekend, summers...

cnh

• Airplay355
    edited March 2009
    Yup I'm a senior finishing up a degree in Medical Biology, I'm not positive what I'll do with that yet though. Spring break was last week but it wouldn't matter, OOB is completely closed down until it warms up. Even the subway, DD and DQ are closed.

The drive ins I usually go to are absolutely the place to hang out on the weekends. Two movies for $7 each is awesome. I show up an hour to an hour and a half early so I can get a good spot. Some days there's a line out onto the road and not even enough spots for everyone to get in.

I didn't know there were any in Maine until I checked when I posted that link. I bet they will be closed while we are here though. I live in a condo on the beach and we are leaving at the end of may.
  • cnh
    edited March 2009
    I moved up here from NYC years ago. Didn't know there were any either for a bit until I drove toward Skowhegan..and there it was? I, honestly didn't think any were left?

Keep telling my wife and daughter we need to do a night...but I haven't managed to get them to agree. My wife grew up abroad so she has no idea of Drive-in 'culture'. That's my mission to give her a little taste of an Americana that's fading fast.

Isn't UNE also implementing a Medical Degree program? Couldn't you just get an M.D. or a D.O.?

cnh

• Airplay355
    edited March 2009
    UNE has a school for undergraduate degrees and a medical school where you can get an osteopathic degree (DO). I'd have to apply to their med school and then be a doctor...not 100% sure I want that yet :D