Polk Components - Crossover has a "single" and "dual" switch

tsheehan7
tsheehan7 Posts: 1
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've got a pair of MMC6500's and I was looking at one of the crossovers today. I notice there's a switch on the crossover that allows you to toggle between "single" and "dual." The instruction manual shows a diagram of the crossover with this switch, but the instructions mention nothing about it. What does this switch do? Does it relate to the impedance that the crossover shows the amplifier?
Post edited by tsheehan7 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2009
    Single input for when youre running both mid and tweet off a single amplifier channel.

Dual input for when youre bi-amping which is running the tweeter off one amp channel and the mid off another.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • royalty
    royalty Posts: 246
    edited March 2009
    On the subject of that bi-amping.....I have those same speakers, would the bi-amping make them sound a lot better?
    HOME AUDIO:
    Electronics:
    HK 354
    Front Power: CARVER TFM-35
    Center Power: Audiosource Amp One
    Speakers:
    Center: CSi5
    Fronts: rti10s
    Rears: monitor 50s
    psw 125 + psw 505 = BOOM

CAR AUDIO
    Infinity 6032CF's all around
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2009
    Bi-amping alone doesnt make your speakers sound better. What it does is allow for the ability of tuning the tweeter and midrange drivers independently of each other. This increased flexibility in tuning gives you much greater potential to get things sounding better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited March 2009
    so basically the answer is yes, it will as long as u r using enough power and processing(HPF for starters) right mac, however i can't see why running extra wire to 2 extra channels, settings gains appropriately, and flippin the switch wouldn't work, as long as power is in range
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited March 2009
    Just during this past weekend, I hooked up my old pair of mmc6500 in my brother's civic. They're biamped off a c400.4 using the pre-eq feature. Needless to say, we were impressed with the sq.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2009
    Mac is right. Bi-amping gives you the flexibility to tune each driver individually. This helps in setting an accurate soundstage. However, this flexibility would be wasted if your set up does'nt allow you to optimally "tune" each driver.

I bi-amped my momos about 2 months back and I am very happy with the results. IMO Bi-amp if you meet most of the criteria given below:

1. You want to focus on sq i/o a set up that just sounds nice.

2. You are mentally ready to ditch your rear speakers :) I struggled with this one. Partly becoz I was so used to the "surround sound" from 4 speakers and partly becoz I had just paid $ 300 for a pair of mmc691 for the rear. The 691's are now disconnected. If ure aiming for pure sq, you dont need the rears.

3. Having a good 4ch amp.

4. Ability to set LP / HP xover points for your sub / mid / tweet.

5. Ability to individually tune at least 10-12 frequencies for left and right ch seperately. This will be critical while setting the sound stage. I can control 16frequencies for L/R from my hu, Mac can do like 35 frequencies from his alpine processor.

6. Time alignment : As you sit in the driver seat the 4 drivers (Mids/tweets) are at different distances from you. Hence you would hear the near side drivers a fraction of a second before you hear the far side ones. Time alignment delays lets you delay the drivers closer to you so that you feel like you are sitting equidistance from the 4 drivers. A very noobie explanation.

7. The passion and patience to sit and tune. :)

Once everything is dialed in and you feel and hear the sound stage, I am sure you would be grinning from ear to ear :D