DIY GFA-555 Restoration Project?

Options
Ender
Ender Posts: 603
edited March 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
SDA 1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS 2, CMT-340SE, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII, Behringer MS40

Outlaw Audio M2200 x2, GFA 555 II, BGW 750C

GDA 700, Outlaw Audio Model 990, Sansa Fuze, X-Fi Platinum Fatality
Post edited by Ender on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Depends........are you doing the work and do you know anything about repairing/restoring electronic equipment? If so, yes very much worth it. If you're going to have someone else do the work (like a professional shop) it gets pricey pretty fast............so buying one that already works and looks nice is probably a better idea.

YMMV

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2009
    Options
    H9 is correct. It's missing three of the four rail fuses, and looks water damaged. I am going to take a guess that it has at least blown output trannies, and probably some problems on the input board. I may take a shot at that amp (if that is cool with you)seeing I have nearly every part in them minus the boards here in my house:) I have repaired a few Adcom's in my travels. The leaking caps in the 565's, and 585's have been a blessing to me:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I wish I was closer :(. This is one amp that I'd like to get my hands on.

And yes, like Ben and H9 said, you do need to have a good knowledge of electronics and how to repair it before even opening the case.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • ben62670
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ViperZ wrote: »
    I wish I was closer :(. This is one amp that I'd like to get my hands on.

And yes, like Ben and H9 said, you do need to have a good knowledge of electronics and how to repair it before even opening the case.

I learned the hard way that it takes a while for those big caps to discharge. At the same time I also learned that the matal casing is "live" on the output trannies. Ouch. Only need to do that once.... or twice:o
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ViperZ
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I would never understand why in many cases the amplifier designers do not put slow discharge resistors on the power supply electrolytic capacitors. It would have saved a lot of grief to many people.
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
  • Ender
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    H9 is correct. It's missing three of the four rail fuses, and looks water damaged. I am going to take a guess that it has at least blown output trannies, and probably some problems on the input board. I may take a shot at that amp (if that is cool with you)seeing I have nearly every part in them minus the boards here in my house:) I have repaired a few Adcom's in my travels. The leaking caps in the 565's, and 585's have been a blessing to me:)

Take it. It sounds too intense for me lol. I was thinking of just doing some minor soldering work and cleaning up the surface, but...
    SDA 1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS 2, CMT-340SE, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII, Behringer MS40

• ben62670
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Ender wrote: »
    Take it. It sounds too intense for me lol. I was thinking of just doing some minor soldering work and cleaning up the surface, but...

Thanks for the heads up. If I didn't luck out getting a bunch of trannies for old Adcom's I would pass. If it goes up in price much I'll pass. I am short an amp for my system. Who knows I may get lucky:)
    Thanks again.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Some fool bought it for $187.50 Over $200 shipped:confused: It's worth that if it was working as ugly as it is:eek:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ViperZ
    edited March 2009
    Options
    wow! 187.50 USD for that amp in that condition... LOL!
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
  • heiney9
    edited March 2009
    Options
    There's a perfectly good working unit on Audiogon for $250:eek::p
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2009
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    There's a perfectly good working unit on Audiogon for $250:eek::p

What do you think of those units? I'm definitely interested in a couple GFA-555s listed on Audiogon at what seem to be great prices. Don't mean to hijack this thread but there's one available near enough to me where I can make the pick up, no shipping?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • heiney9
    edited March 2009
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    What do you think of those units? I'm definitely interested in a couple GFA-555s listed on Audiogon at what seem to be great prices. Don't mean to hijack this thread but there's one available near enough to me where I can make the pick up, no shipping?

cnh

Great amps at great prices. I had a GFA 545 for 22 years and was hard pressed to find anything else that didn't cost a whole lot more sound better. I highly recommend them and for the $$$ it's a practical no-brainer.

H9
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks,

I'm pretty sure I'll pick one up. Just too good a deal. And they seem pretty solid in terms of reliability.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • heiney9
    edited March 2009
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    And they seem pretty solid in terms of reliability.

cnh

Rock solid.........22 yrs and not a single hiccup. The reliability of the original series is legendary. The later 55xx units were pretty rock solid too, however.

They aren't the "be all; end all" but in my travels I've found them much more musical than many other amps even costing 2-3 times the $$$. Pre-amp mating is something to think about. Most who feel the Adcom's are on the bright side most likely had a bright sounding pre-amp or a synergy issue. Never have I found the Adcom's to be bright. It actually sounded slightly rolled off compared to many other soild state designs.

H9
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,565
    edited March 2009
    Options
    It never fails to amaze me how much people pay for worthless crap on EBAY.
    What do you want to bet the thing is a total wash. $50 bucks was a risk.
    $187 plus shipping? People shouldn't bid while drinking!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Looks like someone has more money than brains.

I hope it gets to my house in one piece.:D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Ender
    edited March 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Looks like someone has more money than brains.

I hope it gets to my house in one piece.:D

And I hope you're joking. Lol.

That is seriously one bad investment. I got mine for $300 on local CL. No shipping, thank goodness. I coulda snagged 3x GFA-565 for $300 each, but I needed a two channel. If only I had more moneys to spare... :(

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,162
    edited March 2009
    Options

not only no but HELL NO!!! this thing most likely was pulld from a dump after a hurricane tore through the house it came from... RUN
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2009
    Options
    And I hope you're joking. Lol.
    Yeah,I don't thing I'd want an amp that was used as a boat anchor.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing