Black Diamond Racing Cones

Options
Mike21
Mike21 Posts: 252
edited March 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I just put a set of 3 small BDR Cones under my Parasound 2100 preamp. The BDRCs replaced a set of 4 Mapleshade IsoBlocks (those sandwich blocks w/ cork in the middle and rubber laminate top & botttom).

The BDRCs improved dynamics and clarity. Also, reduced that "shrill CD sound" (that's what I call it) on my reference recording with said sound ("Skin" by Beth Hart).

I was lucky to get these used on Audiogon for $38 including shipping.
PC stereo: Viper custom PC: Windows XP; ASIO4ALL; JRiver Jukebox> Pop Pulse USB to S/PDIF conv> Monarchy DIP > Musiland MD10 DAC > Parasound 2100 pre> Aragon 4004 MKII amp> Dali Ikon6 towers; Sunfire True Sub; PSA Duet, Ultimate outlet and Noise Harvestors.
Post edited by Mike21 on

Comments

• NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I have them under a Cambridge Audio integrated amp but never really gave them much thought. A guy from Audiogon sent me 3 wooden blocks, I forget what kind of wood, to try under my cdp and I am not sure if I can hear any change in SQ. Hell, he sent them for free with a set of cables so I couldn't turn them down.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I use them under my turntable and I love them. I use them in conjuction with Sound Quest Isol-Blocks.

Darqueknight posted a great thread on these and other BDR products.
  • Blownrx7
    Blownrx7 Posts: 137
    edited March 2009
    Options
    When one goes from one type of media to another. i.e. from wood blocks to metal or composite cones, you pretty much insure some kind of change in the coupling of the unit.

Whether it is a positive influence or negative (or even sonicallly noticeable) becomes VERY dependent on the unit itself, the rack it is on and the floor the rack is on. Does it need isloation, or does it need coupling, or does it need absorption?

Also, dependent on the unit is whether you even perceive a change. I might suggest that a well made unit is less susceptible to perceived differences. But I know better than to suggest that since many have had positive experieces with making changes on some really expensive, well-made equipment.

I put this out there only to caution others that their experieces may vary if you just follow someone else's experience without considering all possible variables. Do you have the same floor - is it wood or carpeted or concrete? Is it in the basement or on the second floor or is it in an apt building. What kind of rack is it on? Is it coupled to the floor or isolated? etc etc. Are the shelves wood or composite or mdf or...?
    You get the picture.
    So my sugestion?
    Try lots of different things but don't get married to one type of isolation/coupling/absorption as you make changes to your system or listening environment.

And, oh, lots of times it does not require the high dollar option to get a VERY satisfying improvement.

HTH