Boston Acoustics question...

Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
edited November 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I know this is a Polk forum so of course my first choice was to go with Polk speakers in my 95 Civic coupe but it seems none will fit without major modifications to my doors. After checking many websites it seems the Boston's will drop right inn without major modifications. Has anyone here had any experiences with the Boston's as far as car speakers go. I'm looking to add 6.5" components up front and 5.25" in the rear deck and had a budget of roughly $350. I will be amping them with an Alpine MRP-F300 which is 50x4. By no way shape or form am I looking to compete again, had my share of that years ago, but I'm am looking to replace the stock speakers for a little better midbass and highs and was just wondering if these spekers would do the job. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link to the two sets I'm looking at.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065SX60/Boston-Acoustics-SX60.html?showAll=N&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065S55/Boston-Acoustics-S55.html?tp=105
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2009
    I like Boston's Pro line but theyre a little pricier than what youre after. The rest of their line is decent but I never cared much for them cause they just seemed too bright for my tastes.

If you listen mostly to jazz and softer music they may be ok for you but I like metal and hard rock and bright speakers tend to just be painful when listening to Dream Theater.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited March 2009
    biamp mm components. won't fit?
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited March 2009
    Well, I went ahead and placed the order yesterday for the Boston's, should be here today. I've never owned any Boston's before so I figured with Crutchfield's return policy, if I don't care for them, they'll just be returned.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2009
    They dont suck. Theyre not "Infinity" bright, just brighter than I prefer. You may like them. Itll all depend on your musical tastes.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited November 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I like Boston's Pro line but theyre a little pricier than what youre after. The rest of their line is decent but I never cared much for them cause they just seemed too bright for my tastes.

If you listen mostly to jazz and softer music they may be ok for you but I like metal and hard rock and bright speakers tend to just be painful when listening to Dream Theater.

Sorry to bring this old thread back, but MacLeod: Were you speaking of the Pro60SE or the SPZ60 or both? I was just wondering if both had a bright sound to them. I liked the sound of Bostons about a decade ago, but haven't been exposed to them lately. I was always curious why I don't hear about anyone using them in SQ competitions as well...as I thought Boston always made good stuff.