MM subs - Infinite-baffle?

Topper
Topper Posts: 403
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Saw in the Polk car installs gallery that they have a new demo car featuring the MM series and what i found really interesting is that they mounted the subs on the rear shelf IB.

34_7_big.jpg?rand=466504324

34_9_big.jpg?rand=670314746

Anyone try them infinite baffle? hows their performance? this sure opens them up to a lot more install options if they work well this way.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/installs/viewpolk.php?id=34
Post edited by Topper on

Comments

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited March 2009
    I don't think the space of a trunk could be construed as infinite baffle; here's some REAL infinite baffle setups:

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page4IB-Gallery3.html

12-DLP12.jpg

Pauls_IB_Gemini_GalleryPic.jpg

GeorgeSib.jpg

GaryKmanifold1.jpg

4driverVersion.jpg
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2009
    There is plenty of air space inside a trunk to run IB. I can think of at least a half a dozen SQ competition cars running subs on their rear decks in IB and have won plenty of shows with them as well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited March 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    There is plenty of air space inside a trunk to run IB. I can think of at least a half a dozen SQ competition cars running subs on their rear decks in IB and have won plenty of shows with them as well.

yep am definitely looking to try IB in my next sedan setup and then I came across the Polk install and upon googling, came across a post of someone who was asking about the Polk MMs IB as apparently their specs seemed perfect for it.

Hoping to hear from anyone who might be running any of the recent Polk subs IB in their own rides
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2009
    I still prefer a good sealed box. Just seems better to me. Better power handling, better damping and I think they just sound better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ebumdude
    ebumdude Posts: 35
    edited March 2009
    those pics above ^^^....

why would you want bass coming from your attic?
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

(no polk gear yet....still wishing)
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited March 2009
    ebumdude wrote: »
    those pics above ^^^....

why would you want bass coming from your attic?

Those systems are largely set up for the lowest notes, so I'd be surprised if any of them crossover above 40-50 hz. At those frequencies, you're hard pressed to tell WHERE the sound is coming from in a properly set up system.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer