SDA-2A Crossover Upgrade

Options
13»

Comments

• bcline
    bcline Posts: 59
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Key word there is "generally". Thanks for the thread link. At the end of that thread there is a review on the Onkyo TX-SR805 which was the predecessor to my 806. They said the 805 and 806 came in very close to specs and the 805 was one of the best amps they had tested on a receiver also noting the amp had very nice current flow. The review on the 806 was not quite as good as Onkyo decided to cut some corners on it, but they did note that it had a good current as long as you run it at 6 ohms instead of 4 which I do anyways. Otherwise they said it was a good all around A/V receiver and was excellent for this price point... I paid right at $600.00. I would have liked to go with the 805, but they were discontinued by the time I bought this one. Probably should have climbed to the next model up, but that is fine.. .I'm not unhappy with what I have. This link just helped me verify that I made a pretty good choice with this particular receiver. My research paid off.
  • bcline
    edited April 2009
    Options
    The project is done... except I still haven't done anything with the polyswitches yet. I chose to mount the 270uF cap on the back of the speaker using nylon tie mounts which I mounted with 3/4" #10 wood screws. With three mounts, I tied the cap to the mounts with nylon ties and then used hot glue to solidify the mount and prevent it from wobbling around. Speakers are back together and being used. They continue to sound better each day I use them and I'm very pleased.

Now I have a set of 5 jrs, and 2 sets of 5b speakers to upgrade which belong to my brother. I think my cousin has a set of M7s and I'm going to see if he is interested in getting those upgraded as well. We will just be one big happy vintage polk family.:D
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Looks good and congratulations on your upgrade.
    I'm curious about the type of wire you used to wire the 270uF.
  • bcline
    edited April 2009
    Options
    It is a solid core electrical wire from radio shack... I think it is either 18 or 20 AWG. I was worried it might be too thin, but so far OK. If I have to go with a thicker wire, it won't be a big deal to change it out now.

I am thankful for all the help. I hope I was a quick study. Since I teach physics, I do have some background on electronics, but didn't have much on this particular area. Thank you for all your help folks.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Since it's that short of a run, 18ga should be fine. Nice job!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2009
    Options
    bcline
    You should post pictures of your speakers and set up. After all this work we'd like to see the total package.
    Now, buy some Dynamat Extreme and apply it to the baskets of each driver and passive then....................... it never ends :):)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Congrats bc,job well done.;)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nduitch
    nduitch Posts: 316
    edited April 2009
    Options
    To each his own right? I got to get off my **** and replace my sl2000's. It seems they are the real deal.
  • bcline
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Here is the system:

Electronics

Toshiba 56HM195 56" DLP Rear Projection HDTV
    Onkyo TX-SR806 Receiver
    Sony BDP-550 BluRay Player
    Motorola HD/DVR HDMI Cable Box from Cox
    Onkyo DV-SP502 DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio Player

SPEAKERS

Polk CS20 Center Channel
    Polk SDA-2A front channels (upgraded)
    Polk RC65i Inwall speakers for side and rear surrounds
    Velodyne CHT10 subwoofer

One of my projects is to pull out my woodworking skills and build a home theater "built-in" cabinet for all this equipment to make the whole thing look a little less stark and get my components off each other so they can breathe a little easier.

My brother and I wired the basement room for 7.1 surround when the house was built in 2003. I also wired the house on the main floor for whole house audio and am running Polk inwall speakers in the master bed and bath as well as the living room, dining room, and kitchen. That is all hooked up to a separate audio system which pipes music or radio all the time.

The AV room is still a work in progress, but I'm getting there.
  • JNinja
    JNinja Posts: 100
    Options
    The parts list no longer shows up...Anyone have a link that's not broken?