MM6501 efficiency vs db6501

unrealii
unrealii Posts: 268
edited April 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all. Its been a while since I have stopped by here. I currently have a set of SR's in my maxima and love it (details are in the sig). I still see many familiar faces still posting which is great!

Now I am thinking of upgrading the speakers in my other car - A Toyota MR2 spyder. It has a typical 2 tweeter, and 2 mid setup running off just the front channel from the Toyota radio. I'm planning on upgrading the speakers. Not sure if I am going to install and amp or not. There is zero space in this car, approx 1-1.5" clearance under the seats.

I was reviewing the specs for the mm6501 and the db6501. I noticed the mm's had a greater efficiency, but noticed the nominal impedience is 2.7 versus 4. How much of a difference does that make?

I am planning on buying a harness to tap into the un-used rear output and bi-amping the speakers. May consider dropping in a BASS600 self powered woofer under the passenger side dash.
LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
Post edited by unrealii on

Comments

• djzubah
    djzubah Posts: 17
    edited March 2009
    not completely the same, but i used to have db651 and db571 i had those running off my receiver and they sounded great. I wanted more so i invested in the mm651 and mm571 and the upgrade was amazing. The sound quality and loudness increased dramatically. These things really pull a lot of power from a receiver so you have to be careful with it because if you keep it loud for a long time (like max volume for like 30 mins) your receiver will overheat and cause some clipping. Mine did anyways :/

but yea, the speakers are worth the upgrade definitely. but like Uncle Ben said, with great power comes great responsibility
  • ebumdude
    ebumdude Posts: 35
    edited March 2009
    I have had both MM's and DB's....I recommend the DB's for high's and mid's and the MM's for low's and mid's.

What I would do, is MM's for the front doors, and the DB's for the rear speakers. It sounds awesome.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

(no polk gear yet....still wishing)
  • unrealii
    edited March 2009
    So, I've decided to go without an amp. I will try to bi-amp the speakers off the factory hu. ebumdude, since my car is a two seater, there are no rears :)

Which speakers do you guys think would sound the best? MM's or DB's? Either one I buy, I will need to buy a 2nd set of crossovers to do the bi-amping. I called today to inquire about the price of SR crossovers...too expensive.
    LSIm system on order =D

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • ebumdude
    ebumdude Posts: 35
    edited March 2009
    Sorry bro, I missed that you had a Spyder...I would stick with the MM's since you dont have room for subs. The MM's will give you the clean and crisp response of the mids and a little bass, as the DB's are mainly for mids and high's.

That's just my opinion though.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

(no polk gear yet....still wishing)
  • unrealii
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. Are you running the mm's off an amp or the factory radio?
    LSIm system on order =D

Prior car systems:
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited March 2009
    my opinion MM. though there gonna want more power. think about nicer HU at least? could save you another crossover too...
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • unrealii
    edited April 2009
    I ended up buying the mm6501 speakers. I am planning to run these off of my factory hu (front channels to tweeters, rear channels to mids). An amp, sub & deadening are in the future, but not at the moment.

Does anyone know the crossover slopes of these speakers? Its not published in these manuals, nor the DB manuals. Need the specs so I can acquire a similar crossover or make my own. I am more interested in the crossover point for the mids as the tweeters will run off the crossovers included with the mm set.
    LSIm system on order =D

Prior car systems:
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited April 2009
    'love to know how they sound bi-amped off factory HU. def goona need hpf on mids
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3