Subwoofer tweak

Options
Mike21
Mike21 Posts: 252
edited March 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
FYI:

I have a Sunfire True Sub for my stereo system. When I bought it 6 years ago I lived in a house that had a hard ceramic tile floor in the listening room. I located the sub in a corner, sitting directly on the floor and it sounded great.

Then I moved to my current house where the listening room is carpeted. The sub did not sound so good on the carpet. So, I pilfered a 3/4" MDF shelf from one of my equipment racks and put it underneath the sub. That made it sound even worse!

Next, I placed 4 x 1 1/4" diameter brass cones between the MDF and the sub and that did the trick. The sub now sounds as good as it did on the ceramic floor. :)
PC stereo: Viper custom PC: Windows XP; ASIO4ALL; JRiver Jukebox> Pop Pulse USB to S/PDIF conv> Monarchy DIP > Musiland MD10 DAC > Parasound 2100 pre> Aragon 4004 MKII amp> Dali Ikon6 towers; Sunfire True Sub; PSA Duet, Ultimate outlet and Noise Harvestors.
Post edited by Mike21 on

Comments

• SuperG
    SuperG Posts: 34
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I have a similar problem exept my sub is in the basement sitting on carpeted cement floor. It sounds ok but I have a feeling that the cement is muffling the sound. What do you mean by brass cones? I might try this. Any other ideas?
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Subdude
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Putting the sub on cones might make a world of a difference. The sub will be isolated from the floor, so no unwanted vibrations. Congrats!
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room