looking at a set of MMC6500s, need a couple of measurments

anotheruser
anotheruser Posts: 31
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
im looking at picking up a set of mmc6500s, but i need to know if theyll fit before i buy them. no place in town carries the momo line, so i cant take it any place local.

i just need to know the width and the depth of the magnet. that should be enough to figure out if theyll fit in my car, and if ill be kicking them every time i go for the clutch.
Post edited by anotheruser on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2009
    Have you tried this:

Polk Audio Fit Guide
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • anotheruser
    edited March 2009
    thats just for stock replacements. ill be doing some cutting, molding, and reskinning to get these in.

i just need to know if ill be able to get these far enough down the hole so i wont be kicking them when i go for the clutch.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited March 2009
    Here's a couple shots of a 6500 next to the new 6501. The Momo 6500 (without magnet cover) is about 2.43" deep, and the MM6501 is slightly deeper at about 2.56". The 6500 magnet is about 3.35", but the 6501 is about 2.32", and they both drop in the same size hole- 5". Depending on your kicks, the MM will probably be a better option. As you can see, the Mobile Monitor basket is similar to the SR, and tapers in quite a bit thanks to the neo magnet.
  • anotheruser
    edited March 2009
    thanks for your help.

i spent a bit of time messing around with the car today, and a component system is out of the question. i never realized how wide my feet are, and how little space there is between the wall and the clutch.

i have just enough clearance to get my foot through there as is, and with these sticking out an inch. ill put my foot through them in a matter of moments.

looks like im stuck with 4x6s and 6x9s.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2009
    The momos are really good speakers. I am currently running them.

The MM series is supposed to be even better. Fom your thread it seems you want to install them in kick panels.

Any reason why you dont want to install them in the doors? Mids in door panel and tweeters on the A pillar.

Unless you have a special reason or a physical limitation, the choice of speakers (momo's/mm's)should always prevail over the install location.

Having said the above, the 6x9's are top of the line amongst all 6x9 brands. But the comp's are sweeter.
  • anotheruser
    edited March 2009
    im putting these in a 69 corvette, so im very limited on mounting options. the doors are completely out of the question, as theyre paper thin.

i have one last thing to try tomorrow, but i just dont see it working, atleast with these speakers.

i know i can get 4x6s flush mounted in there no problem.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2009
    doors can be dynamated to death and made stronger and acoustically acceptable. Just consider it. I'm a silly newbie, talk to the experts here. Mac / Thom / Candaddy / dirthog, to name a few. Folks who have taught me what little I know.

Get the comps, bi-amp them, ditch the rears if ure planning any, hook up a sub and I promise you will hear and enjoy music like never before.
  • anotheruser
    edited March 2009
    as i said, the doors are out of the question. its not physically possible to mount them in there with out completely removing the glass.