Special Plug Strip for enhanced listening ?

Options
mikeo
mikeo Posts: 15
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Hi everyone,

i would like to find out how many of you are using a special plugstrip to reduce 'noise' in the Powernetwork?

i heard a lot how good these special plugstrips are, they 'clean' the sound and it feels that music sounds more precise and crisp.

I am thinking about getting me one, but - well, let me know
if you have any preferences or suggestions ...

thanks a lot..

cheers
mikeo

..spoil yourself with clean sound..

..get the right stuff - no compromises
Post edited by mikeo on

Comments

• dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have one on both of my systems, I cannot say if it makes the system sound better because I did not do A/B testing. I can tell you that it cuts out the static when a mixer or hairdryer is running. I have a Monster on one (about $100) and a RCA on the other ($20ish at walmart) they both seem to work about the same.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Garbage in, garbage out.

In our last abode, a humble 3bdrm apartment, power conditioners made an OBVIOUS improvement, esp in the evenings.

In our house now, I can't tell a difference, but I have them, so I use them anyway.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good one? Do they protect against surges as well? I lost about $200 in computer hard ware and 100GB of information from that dang surge. I sure don't want that to happen to my new gear.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    Options
    any surge protector will work for comps. but some of the beter ones have power cleaning in them for ht.
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hi mikeo:

From my perspective if you've invested even a modest amount of money in your A/V setup, your first order of business should be to protect your equipment from voltage surges.

Now a number of decent devices with surge protection also have power line conditioning and other convenience features, such as powering up your components sequencially, etc.

However, I view the power conditioning as a short of bonus feature of my surge protector. Not the other way around.

I've got a Panamax 1500+. It has 11 outlets, some always on and some triggered by an other device. It has a couple of high power outlets that have a time delay to bring up my power amplifiers a few seconds apart. Panamax has a lifetime warranty on the device and a $5,000,000 warranty on connected equipment, provided the equipment is properly connected to their device. And oh yeah, it also has power conditioning, too :)

My model cost under $200. Its since been discontinued and replaced by a number of other models similarly priced and going up to about $500.

Larry
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Quote "Can anyone recommend a good one? Do they protect against surges as well? I lost about $200 in computer hard ware and 100GB of information from that dang surge"

For Computer equipment get an APC brand "Smart-UPS" they will protect from surges and brownouts. They give a lifetime 25,000.00 eguipment damage protection, including lightning stricks.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I used the Monster cable HTS-5000 and it works very well for me, provided the extra -clean power for my equipment. To be 100%proteted by surge, you must have the total system plug in to this device including your antenna and misc equipment( all of your electronic gear are somehow connect to each other by inter-connect, speaker cable). If you have your power sub or any piece of your equipment located far away and can not reach the device position, you must buy a seperate protector (not the same kind, same brand is preferable) and have enough joules to protect it. Be-ware of the advertising on the lifetime guarantee on equipment damage, most company will advertise using the aggregate liability limit for the same kind of their particular products, read the fine print and find down what is the limit per claim when you actually file (claim) one.