CD Player Opinions

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited February 2003 in Electronics
I'm due for a CD player upgrade and want some opinions.

There's the Rotel RCD1070 and NAD541i that are in my price range and sold at the only audiophile type store in my City.

The salesman there also mentioned Rega, but I think it may be out of my price range.

I've read that the NAD has had some reliability problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I would suggest looking at AMC as well. The AMC cd8b has dual 24-bit DAC's and can be had, refurbed, from AMC for under 200 shipped.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I live in Canada. I'm not sure if I can get something shipped from the U.S. other than Ebay which is a scary thought in itself.

The funds conversion really stinks too. I'm looking $700 Canadian for the NAD and $900 Canadian for the Rotel.

Has anyone from Canada bought any of these models? How much?

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have heard the NAD but I have not heard the Rotel. I liked the NAD very much. I'm not sure that it was that much better than the 521i from my short listening session with them.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have the NAD 521. Its a pretty nice budget player. If I were to spend more money on a CDP I'd look at Arcam CD72, the Rega Planet gets good reviews also. can probably get both those models used for $450-$500.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have the Rotel 1070 and love it. I haven't heard the Arcam or Rega, but I bet they are just as good if not better. They all go for roughly the same price, so just pick one. ;)
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I think I'm leaning towards the Rotel, I'm auditioning both this weekend.

Do you have any HDCDs? Can you hear a big difference?

• phuz
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have a few HDCD's, and I can hear a slight difference. Wether or not that has to do with the HD 20 bit signal or the fact that the stuff was mastered differently I dont' know, but there is definately a difference.
  • gtsdarts
    gtsdarts Posts: 15
    edited February 2003
    Options
    arcam alpha 7 or se7 or cd72 or cd72t, from older to latest, this is a very nice player ,i heard its better than rega and can be upgraded to a 8 or 9 . my arcam alpha 7 sounds great and for 290 it is in expensive .the cd72 comes highly recommended also.
    gtsdarts
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I ordered th Rotel RCD1070 today. Now, the only question is do I go with black to match my receiver or get it in silver? The store I bought it from will be puting the order through on monday. Silver looks so classy.

• TONYGVISINET
    TONYGVISINET Posts: 24
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I just bought the NAD 541i for $378. Have never heard it, but have read enough about it to give it a try. I have 30 days to return it, and it comes with a 3-year warranty since I used the Amex Card. I did hear about the transport issues that NAD has had, but I really like NAD- although never had an NAD CD before.
    Will let everyone know how it sounds!
    Tony G - Gloucester, Va

Denon 1650AR CD
    Phase Technology Power 12 Sub
    Polk SDA 1
    NAD 3400 Int Amp (100w)
    NAD 6340 Cassette
    Kenwood KT-31B Tuner
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I would prefer silver because it looks pretty classy and it may add some flavor to the darker equipment.......

but the most important decision is yours because you will be seeing this CD player everytime you listen to your music.

dc.:)
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tony,

The NAD is really good. You won't be dissapointed on bit.

Speaker7,

The thing that sucks is, that will be my only silver component and it may stand out too much. The good thing is it has some black on the sides that will make it blend in a little.

Here's a link. What do you think?

Rotel RCD1070

• phuz
    edited February 2003
    Options
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited February 2003
    Options
    both colors looks great!......I guess you will have to have a big Polk board consensus/survey........but you will still have to make the final call because it's your money and it's going to be your new friend for a long while until you want to upgrade again.

I have a black receiver, black cd changer, but my s-vhs vcr is silver and my dvd player is silver and my old tape deck is also silver.

ps.I called my wife over to have a look at the two colors and she went for the silver.(classy).....however, it's a personal taste!

And now I want one for myself!......but I haven't even come close to putting together my new two channel audio only system. I will have to get a new amp,pre and a pair of speakers before I can even afford to replace my old Sony cd player.....but may be next year and in the mean time you can add some reviews from your experience with your Rotel.

dc.:)
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I'm still torn between colors, I think I'm leaning towards silver.

Anyway, that's the least of my problems. Last night, in a drunken stuper, I didn't cover up my speakers to protect them from my roomates cats and when I got up, one of my midrange drivers was torn from a f#$%ing cat jumping on the speaker. :supermad: I hope it's not too costly to replace. Kinda bad timing too with that CD player coming in wednesday or thursday.

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Your roomate should pay for the damage - or shoot the cat - or both!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Well, I went with the black. Can't wait, my ripped speaker still works though I'll probably setup my dinky surrounds (R10) as fronts until I get a new mid.

I hope the snow clears in Baltimore, I coudn't order the replacement mid :(, Polk customer service was closed yesterday. Because of the snow, I imagine.