Anthem tube pre & new caps

Options
NJPOLKER
NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
edited March 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I bought a Anthem PRE2L pre-amp a few months ago. After a few members suggested upgrading the two capacitors I decided to go ahead and do it. I did some reading on capacitor comparisons and decided on Mundorf silver/oils. However, 2uF's are not going to be available for a couple months so decided to try out DynamiCaps from Sonic Craft. The stock caps in the Anthem are Solens so most quality caps will show an improvement. I'm not saying Solens are bad but just not great in this application.
It took me maybe 10 minutes to remove the Solens and install the DynamiCaps and cost me about $50. I am thrilled with the improvement. It is shocking to me how much better everything sounds. Far cleaner, better separation, imaging, detail and all for $50. This is the best "for the money" tweak I have ever made. Oh yeah, the caps have only an hour on them and may sound better after some burn in time!!
For Anthem/Sonic Frontier to use Solens in this application is wrong, in my opinion anyway. They manufacture some nice equipment and I am sure have some good reasons for their decision. If you have this pre-amp do yourself a favor and upgrade the caps, you can thank me later.

Thanks to Doro for the recommendation on the Anthem, F1nut for Capacitor help and most of all phipiper10 for selling me this pre-amp.
Maybe I'll post pictures when I get some good light.
Drew
Post edited by NJPOLKER on

Comments

• phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ****!! Sounds Awesome. I'm jealous.

What's next on your list??
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • NJPOLKER
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I've tried out/rolled all the tubes you sent with the Anthem and really enjoy the Amprex set best. Maybe some day I'll try a set of Mullards. Bought Herbie dampers too. I think I'm all set for awhile on the pre-amp. Since I am on a capacitor roll these days I am going to call David Belles to see if upgrading the four 2.2uF capacitors in the Belles 350a is worth upgrading.
    Thanks again for selling this awesome pre-amp :p
    Drew
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I don't know how these might sound with the anthem,, but I've had some sucess with Brimars--god luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • NJPOLKER
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks George
    I never heard of Brimars but I will do some research on them.
    Hey George one more thing, I hope David Belles does not talk me into upgrading the 350a to reference! I'd rather not spend $1,000. on that upgrade.
    Drew