sub help

LilWombat
LilWombat Posts: 8
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

A coworker gave me disigns to make a custom box. (iso baric)

Dimensions of the inside

13.5"-19"
2-14" ports

Subs
rockford fosgate 12" p2 punch

amp
alpine mrp 500

head unit
kenwood 438u

I wanted a nice tight sound but all i am getting is a lot of bass and not that pop i am looking for. My co worker also helped tune it when iwas done but he said you are gonna get that boom with 12" subs. I had 12's before, i know what they sound like when they r tuned right.

Is there something wrong with the box or the design of the iso baric, is there something i didnt know about the way the speakers are set up.

I am considering opening the box back up and dropping 1 sub in to c how it sounds. I am very particular about my music and i am not getting close to what i want. I like a nice clean sound, not bass that rumbles and dosnt stop. There is no air leaks in the box, its air tight.

thank you

I have spent hours and hours tuning it and i cant get it to sound right.
Post edited by LilWombat on

Comments

• LilWombat
    edited February 2009
    I forgot to say the subs make a lot of rumbling, and it sounds conjested. There is no kick to them, it sounds flat and bland.
  • ebumdude
    ebumdude Posts: 35
    edited February 2009
    I had this same problem one time when I built my own box.

Try it without the polyfoam in the box, see if that helps.

If not, then check the cup for the speaker terminals on the box. I don't know why, but one time I caulked it instead of **** it in and it gave me the same congested sound you speak of.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

(no polk gear yet....still wishing)
  • LilWombat
    edited February 2009
    I have done everything i can think of to get a different sound. No matter WHAT i do i am still getting that dull conjested sound. There is no pop to it. It should be bumping pretty clear with the p2's. I riped the top of the box off, took out the polyfil and tried it, then i covered up the ports, same sound, i even took a sub out and went with one to see how it would sound, still the same conjested sound.

Could this be because of a bad wiring job, the subs itself or the actual box.

:mad::mad::mad:
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    In my opinion, if youre wanting tight controlled bass youll be better off scrapping this and going with a straight up, old fashioned sealed box for each sub.

Sealed boxes are just better in so many ways. They give the most control over the sub, they give the best power handling and theyre the most forgivable of design/construction flaws.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ebumdude
    edited February 2009
    I agree. It's not the subs or the wiring job. It definitely has to be the box.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

• LilWombat
    edited February 2009
    I was considering going with an old fashion box like you said. I will try it and post about it when i do it within a week or so.
  • LilWombat
    edited February 2009
    Would 2 subs sound better in my hatch or would 1 sound better? Also if someone could send me to a link for a good single sealed box for my fosgate p2's for nice tight bass (12") that would be very appreciated. I am not looking to spend to much money on the box. I was thinking around 100$ or so for 1. Thank you.
  • ebumdude
    edited February 2009
    for the subs, it all depends on you. For example: one 12" Boston G3 sub sounds better than two 12" P2's....it all depends on how much you want to spend. Just remember with bigger subs, you need bigger amps to push them...

For a reasonably priced enclosure, for the longest time I had the $99 box from best buy. Its sealed, doesnt take up a ton of room and its a great price.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

• LilWombat
    edited March 2009
    I just bought a box and put it into my car. It sounds better but i am still not completely happy with it. I listen to a lot of techno so i was considering ditching the p2's and getting 10" subs. I am done with the punch, they sound like garbage for techno. Any suggestions on 10" subs for a hatchback preferably a complete sub package (sub and box together)

Thank you all for the help
  • ebumdude
    edited March 2009
    call crutchfield and get the POLK MOMO's 10".....they are buy one get one free for $99.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

• greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited March 2009
    I listen to techno to im running 2 SR 12's in a sealed box and they sound awesome for techno. they sound awesome on any music.:)
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • LilWombat
    edited March 2009
    Keep in mind that i have a hatch back. I don't have a trunk so any sound that is coming out is going straight into the car.
  • greg2350
    edited March 2009
    Get 2 of these
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14754_Polk+Audio+MM1040DVC.html

put them in this box
    http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/unloaded/hatchback/210HB/index.shtml

face the subs toward the back and you will get the sound your looking for.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2009
    Electronica/techno music is my main genre I listen too. I am running 1 JL 10w7 in a slotted box in my jeep. After all the sub/amp configurations I tried the 10w7 and JL 500/1 were what made me happy. I have always had sealed boxes but after lots of consideration and having originally built a sealed enclosure for the 10w7 I built a temporary slotted box to hear the difference. this is my first ported style box ever and I could not have been more happy with the results.I haven't found a genre of music that doesn't sound good with my setup yet :)check it out here

Lots of kick and capable of carrying the low notes when needed
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • greg2350
    edited March 2009
    ntculenuff wrote: »
    Electronica/techno music is my main genre I listen too. I am running 1 JL 10w7 in a slotted box in my jeep. After all the sub/amp configurations I tried the 10w7 and JL 500/1 were what made me happy. I have always had sealed boxes but after lots of consideration and having originally built a sealed enclosure for the 10w7 I built a temporary slotted box to hear the difference. this is my first ported style box ever and I could not have been more happy with the results.I haven't found a genre of music that doesn't sound good with my setup yet :)check it out here

Lots of kick and capable of carrying the low notes when needed

Very nice setup I bet it sounds real good here is my setup still not finished need to hide some wires.:)
    SANY0084.jpg
    acura2.jpg
    acura5.jpg
    SANY0090.jpg
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2009
    looks good. the set up i have now is the best one i have had since i started and finally a complete install :) only took 4ever haha
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    edited March 2009
    I have a MOMO's 10" in my MINI Cooper S with an Alpine 500 watt mono amp with a closed box and it sounds great.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • ebumdude
    edited March 2009
    I just bought the MOMO 10's....I am very impressed.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

• LilWombat
    edited March 2009
    Thank you all for the help, i am thinking about getting those 10's. Still tuning my subs now i almost got it to how i like them but my friend said he would buy my subs off me for 200, that's a 50 dollar loss on my part which is not that bad.
  • ebumdude
    edited March 2009
    considering that they are used subs, that isnt a bad loss at all...thats what friends are for.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME: