DB6501 advice

ebumdude
ebumdude Posts: 35
edited April 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

First timer on Polk's forums.

Just purchased 2 mm2104's today.

I also have 2 component db6501's in my car that I have had for a while now. I am somewhat disappointed in the bass response from the db's. I have all my settings in my head unit and my amp set properly, I also even went as far as installing speaker baffles to help out with the lack of bass.

Is it this series of speaker that is lacking, or am I missing something?

Any input is welcome, thanks in advance.
CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
- MM6's & DB6501
- Rockford P400-4
- (2) MM2104's
-TMA T1000.1

HOME:

(no polk gear yet....still wishing)
Post edited by ebumdude on

Comments

• cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited February 2009
    set up those mm 10s. then you'll have your bass. the dbs aren't meant for it. bi-amp them, that might help the low end...
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    The DBs arent meant to play bass. Theyre just too small. Theyre meant to work with subwoofers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited February 2009
    Properly deadening your doors where the mids are mounted would really help maximize the midbass performance.

(Stuff like Secondskin Damplifer, Dynamat, etc.)
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    ebumdude wrote: »
    I am somewhat disappointed in the bass response from the db's. I have all my settings in my head unit and my amp set properly, I also even went as far as installing speaker baffles to help out with the lack of bass.

What settings? Does your head unit have hp filters, or are you using the amps'? What are the speakers crossed over at, if at all?
  • ebumdude
    edited February 2009
    Alrighty, thanks for all the input. This is what I have:

The DB's are mounted in the existing factory speaker location on the doors and rear deck. The front door DB's have sound deadening in the doors as well as foam speaker baffles.

The front door DB's as well as the rear deck DB's, are both amp'd with a Rockford Fosgate P400-4. The fronts are set at a -3db at the crossover while the rear deck is set at 0db on the crossover.

The bass on the HU is set to 5, the mids @ a 4 as well as the highs.

The gain is set at about the 11 o'clock position for both sets.

Now, I could be wasting everyone's time with the comment posted above stating that the DB's aren't meant for bass...

If bass is what I want, then I should upgrade to the MM6501's? I have had my eye on those bad boys for a couple months now.

Thanks again everyone.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

• Bigmike_123
    Bigmike_123 Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    I also purchased the DB6501 component speakers to replace my stock speakers in my 2008 trailblazer, and the speaker seems to have really loud highs but really no lower bass. Well atleast less then me stock speakers. Should I have purchased a different type? and what would you guys recomend if I want more bass reponse without jumping into a subwoofer?

I'm sort of frustrated I spent money and didn't get the improvements i was looking for.

Thanks
  • ebumdude
    edited April 2009
    Mike,

I am getting rid of the db's i have for my front doors and replacing them with MM6501's.

I said in a different thread, the MM6501's will have the bass you are looking for and lacking from the db's.

I have had the MM's before, and they do sound great. I blew mine ( my mistake not the speakers, lol)...then got the DB's thinking they would be just as great as the MM's. But they are not as you can see.

I would really recommend going with the MM6501's. You wont be disappointed.

Just remember to amp them. ( you didnt mention if you were already or not.)
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME:

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2009
    The DB's are an entry level speaker. Theyre very solid for the money but still an entry level speaker. One thing they have is very good midrange and good highs. Some other entry level speakers may have better bass but lack the midrange and high detail. Its hard to get a $100 set of speakers that can do everything well. For that youre gonna have to bump up your budget. The MM line is a much better speaker and will have the improved midbass response youre after so long as youre installing and powering it properly.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ebumdude
    edited April 2009
    blew the front right db6501.

these speakers suck. time to upgrade.....again.
    CAR:

- Kenwood DDX6019
    - MM6's & DB6501
    - Rockford P400-4
    - (2) MM2104's
    -TMA T1000.1

HOME: