amp advice

sundevil1982
sundevil1982 Posts: 3
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
N00b here. Just seeking some advice on speakers/amp. I recently decided to start building my system in my colorado crew cab and so far I have the pioneer fh-p800bt and I just got the polk db6501 for the doors. I will definatley need an amp for the polks and won't even other installing them until I have one. I'm also wanting to replace the rear door speakers as well. My question is what would be better to run in the rear doors, the db651 or another pair of the db6501? Also, depending on which route I go what size amp will i need? I've been searching 4 channel amps and the only reasonably priced ones seem like they would be underpowering the db6501. One of the amps I've looked at was the gm-6300f which is 60x4 @4ohms. Is that enough for the db6501?
Post edited by sundevil1982 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    Id look for something in the 75x4 range personally.

You dont necessarily need rear speakers. If youre wanting the best sound quality and imaging you can get, rear speakers do more harm than good. However, if youre just wanting good tunes to listen to while driving around, frequently have passengers in the rear and want good sound all around then go for it.

Get the DB650's for the rear.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sundevil1982
    sundevil1982 Posts: 3
    edited February 2009
    I have heard that it wouldn't help too much to get rear's but wasn't too sure. I don't have rear passengers too often. What would i do for the rear's in that case, just run the stocks off my head unit? Would I have to make fade adjustments so I don't blow the rears? If that would work ok then I could get a two channel and push the front's a lot harder. How well to subs sound with components? My whole thing is the clutter from not having a trunk. There's not a whole lot of room under my seat for a bunch of amps and I like using that space to throw tie-downs and tools and other crap of mine. I was looking at the shallow mount pioneers too, maybe a 10" or even an 8" would mate well with the polks.
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited February 2009
    an 8 could mate very well, especially the mobile monitor series. u could keep that 4-channel and biamp the components
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3