Bi-wiring MM465

Col_S
Col_S Posts: 16
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can anyone help with details on how i should bi-wire my MM465. I have 4 channels to run this one set of speakers. Also i was thinking about buying a set of MM455s as well. IF i did how would you recommend i run them. They are all going to be in the front doors. Should i just run the two woofers and one tweeter, or both tweeters and how should i wire it to a 4 channel amp? The am is pushing out 4 x 70watt RMS.

I also have two MM120s in the back running of a 1000watt RMS d class amp.
Post edited by Col_S on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    well .. if you're gonna stick with one set... and you really want to bi amp them... then you'll need a good crossover... run your RCA lines into the 4 channel crossover ( or two 2 chanel xovers) and then run that into your 4 channel amp.

set your tweeter channels to be high passed anywhere between 4,000 and 6,500 hertz (that's going to be your personal preference... i think polk's own passive xovers are at like 4,800?)

set your middy channels to be bandpassed -- low pass at around 3,000 - 4,000... high pass at 75 - 100 hertz (again,d epends on your taste).

or.. if you dont want to do that... you can build your own 6db / octave or 12 db/octave (but you'll have to swap phase) passive crossovers on the speaker wire leads...

see www.the12volt.com for more information on this.

as far as whether or not to use both tweeter sets of u go with two pair of comps... i dunno... its your taste. personally i wouldn't do two component sets in one door... if i wanted more boom up front i'd get a higher end / higher power component set rather than try to get two sets of speakers in "harmony" with each other in the same stage... that's a headache... dont get me wrong its been done a lot, but its kind of a pain in the butt.

if you really wanna throw a 6.5 " momo mid / a 5.25" momo mid / and a momo tweet al in one door... then run them as 3 ways. ... use the 6.5 as a low end frequency midwoofer down in your kick panel or lower end of the door... slightly higher up throw the 5.25 in... and the tweeter up toward the top near the dash / top of the door. and then partitiion their frequencies accordingly.

i may be way off on that, but that's my ballpark idea... check with someone from the polk gang before you go hacking away and find out that i'm wrong.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2003
    actually i would put 140 watts to each crossover to the mm465s turn the gain down a little bit and stick with that
    -Cody
  • Col_S
    edited February 2003
    If i was using the two woofers i would have the 6.5 come in at lower frequencies than the 5s and have the 5s go higher. Then have the tweeters for the high frequencies.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    ya COL_S that was basically what i was saying... that's a bit of a pain to build external crossovers for everything... but if u really think its worth the time, then i'm betting that in the end you'll sit back and listen to it and realize that it really does sound the way that you want it to ,and it was in fact worth the work.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Col_S
    edited February 2003
    I've got a 7 band crossover built into my amp for each channel and a variable high pass filter so will probably just use them to get the right sounds going to the right speakers.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Col_S
    I've got a 7 band crossover built into my amp for each channel and a variable high pass filter so will probably just use them to get the right sounds going to the right speakers.

Just make sure that the amp is set up properly before you start playing anything. If you don't have the high pass crossover set correctly for the tweeters they won't last long...
  • Col_S
    edited February 2003
    Yea i think i am going to make some caps and coils to set it up properly.