Having the same problem...

LILDRAGON
LILDRAGON Posts: 47
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi, was wondering if you guys can help me out with my setup also?

Polk MOMO MM124 (.88cu sealed box)
Rockford Fosgate RFX9300 Head Unit
Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd Amp
4ga Lightning Audio Power and Ground

I cannot seem to get enough bass out of the single 12" unless I turn up the SUM level on the head unit to 30 which is max and the bass boost for the amp maxed out too. My amp is set to 75hz and the gain control is about 20-25%. I can hardly hear the bass not alone feel it unless everything is turned up. The subs will distort and hit the grills (is this normal). Please let me know what it should be configured as. My sub right now does not sound good at all and I do not want to damage it. Also let me know if you need more info.

Also would a 1.25cu sealed box work for this sub? Or will it damage the drivers?
Post edited by LILDRAGON on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    1st -- dont put a momo 12 in anything bigger than 1.0 cubic.. the closer to 0.9 the better.

as far as your problem... well dude.. you're gain is at 20% ..that's the problem...

put your volume on your head unit at 2/3 ....
    set your bass to "zero" or plus one or two but nothing high...

dial your bass boost on your amp down to 1/4...

and turn your gain on your amp up to about 65% or more if its not breaking up.

see how that works out for ya ... i'm bettin you see a good deal of difference there.

the reason its "distorting" when you have the volume all the way up is that head units will "clip" once you get past like 2/3 or 3/4 of their volume range... (unles you've got a 1500 dollar Nakamachi head)... so you need to mentally note that your "max" volume should only be 2/3 or 3/4 (determine by trial and error) and dont dial up past that.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2003
    better yet...never turn the bass booster on the amp up
    that severly damages subs
    i know
    i did it
    same amp
    -Cody
  • LILDRAGON
    LILDRAGON Posts: 47
    edited February 2003
    Thanks for all the information. My new MM124 is on the way in. So I will take your suggestions and hopefully it works better this time around.

By the way is the MM124 able to make you really feel the bass or is it just a sq sub?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    it "bumps" -- believe me... it really bumps. a good SQ sub is not a "woosey" sub... a good sq sub not only will make u feel a hell of a bump but it'll maintin the integrity of the music being played. that's the mark of a quality speaker. i think the momo comes pretty close to achieving that for most listeners. (which is no small feat)
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited February 2003
    PBD, You said to trun the head unit up to 2/3rd or so volume. my Blaupunkt San Jose can be turned up to full without distortion. I have my amps set at 1/4 gain (3 volt input) and my head unit puts out 4 volts. I never readjusted them from the other head unit. Those 12" PE DSQ 12.4 sound great. Sound better than the 2 15's I had. But not as loud. 250 watts vs 500 rms each. If I ever see the BD500 from that Ebay auction would be nice. That should deliver about 300 rms to each. Of course I am still waiting. Havent heard from the dude in 2 days. I guess I will have to report this to the credit card company, Ebay and Paypal.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    chris... some decks.... few at that... (there were more a couple years ago, but lately very VERY few) are have "true volt non clipping" preouts, that you can jack from 0 to full and get no clip -- much like the way your TV audio outputs (to your home theatre receiver) work... volume on full, still no clip.

its a nice feature... a 3 volt non clip will give 50% more voltage than a 4 volt clipping. (usually).
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    PBD. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I, Am not using the speaker leads. Just the rca's. Otherwise, I would hit distoryion at about 1/2 volume.
    By the way, he said he shipped the amp on Friday. We'll see.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    nah - i was speaking strickly RCA's -- most decks now if they say "4 volts" rca outs -- by about 2/3 - 3/4 volume (say only like 2 - 2.5 volts) they're clippin pretty badly.

hey if amp boy doesnt' come though - www.ikesound.com (no idea of reputable-ness of the place, just found it today) has the 500 rockford for 299.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    Thanks PBD. If "Amp Boy" doesn't come through, I am going to have to hold off on the amp. I need new tires soon. Hopping next month. Just need to decide on which. 255/70/16 GoodYear Wrangler RTS or Eagle LS in 255/65/16. They both have pros and cons. The Eagle wont through off my speedo, Might be better since I drive rather aggressively, Probably quieter and smoother on highways. The Wrangler on the other hand will, make use of my lift kit, Might grip better in rain or snow. But will have to recalibrate the speedo, Might be noiser and rough ride. Noise? Wrangler have always been on the noisy side. But these are supposed to be for the highway.
    So what do you? I cant decide
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2003
    the wranglers will probably wear out faster if they have more aggressive grip
    but I would still go with them
    tires save lives....you never know when you might need one with more grip
    pbd
    i was looking at the pioneer website at their headunits
    one of their premier radios had 6 volt outputs!
    i fell in love with that radio
    down side...$890 on that website
    thought id share the word...
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2003
    No way! The Wranglers suck! They wear out in 20,000 miles. For a tire with twice that in readwear warranty, the suck!

You want a really nice all-terrain tire that does good off-road and is quiet on-road, I'd have to go with Bridgestone Duelers. Put a set on my dad's truck after going through 4 sets of Wranglers in 3 years. They are working a billion times better, they make less noise on the road, grab like glue off-road and after 7,000 miles, they show little wear. Eventhough they are Japanese tires, they are a better deal IMO.

Oh, Bridgestone/Firestone is a Japanese conglomerate. Firestone used to be an American company but Japan bought them out and brought a good chunk of thier manufacturing over seas.

BFGoodrich is also now wholely owned by Michelin which is a French company. BFGoodrich still manufactures tires here in American, Canada and Mexico though. There are Michelin plants here too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2003
    someday when i have money im going to get some goodrich all-terrains...someday
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    Jstas -- bridgestone dueller what? AT's? ... i've got the HL -- i like the AT as a seemingly good "jeepy" / "offroady" (god i'm talkin like a five year old) tire... but for like highway cruising i absolutely love the HL... they're smooth like butter, i swear to god... and you're right, they really dont wear badly at all... i've got about 30,000 (yes, 30k) miles on mine and they still look to have another year or so left in them... and thats after me driving like a complete A$$ most of hte time and laying rubber halfway across western new york's pothole filled roads. they really are a "crusing" tire though... the don't do jack squat for me on grass or dirt -- and for the last two winters (like 8,000 miles worth of driving) i've had to get the dueller/blizzak snow tires in the rear so that i've not sliding allover the roads.

Personally, i'm not a michellin man anymore -- my grandfather swearsby them, but the LE's he's got on his truck absolutely suck in the winter, and they're not too grippy in the summer. maybe its the model -- i'm sure Mich makes other better tires.

Pirelli, on the other hand, I do like a lot -- couple friends of mine had them on their smaller cars and they were a nice solid tire, but i can't say anything for their truck/suv lines.