battery keeps draining out...

Kiran
Kiran Posts: 9
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys, I need some help figuring out why my car battery keeps dying out on me. I rarely turn on my audio system when the car is off. I've got a zero guage power and ground cable for my mono and 4 channel amp. I haven't changed the alternator to bat or ground - all original wiring is stock. It looked pretty solid guage so I didn't change it. The system is connected directly to the battery since there was no switch at the ignition, but i make sure i turn off the audio system - i havent forgotten so far!! My cap stays on a few minutes after everything is turned of, but that's normal. I'm really not sure why my battery drains out. Its happened twice in 2 months. Should I just get a dedicated battery for the audio??? Can anyone guide me on such a wiring set up... Also will this create too much strain on the alternator? All help and advice will be appreciated! Thanks
Polk SR 6500 (front)
Polk SR 6500 (rear)
Polk SR 124 DVC
Polk1200.1 Monoblock
ARC Audio SE 4200(signature edition 4 channel Amp)
/////Alpine PXE-H650 Imprint Processor (returned to Crutchfield...didnt sound as good as its slated out to be!)
/////Alpine CDA-9887
Jamo 2.5mm home theater spkr wires, Monster RCA's
Post edited by Kiran on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    Simply turning the radio off does not stop it from draining power. You will need to put an On/Off toggle switch on the red wire coming off the headunit if you do not have an ignition source. Just turn the toggle switch off every time you turn the car off. That should eliminate your problem.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • GTFreak
    GTFreak Posts: 25
    edited February 2009
    that or you could go to your local auto parts store and check out a new alt. or the cheaper idea is to go with a optimum battery.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2009
    Doesn't matter what kind of battery you've got; if you have a constant draw being placed on it and no recharging going on, it's going to die.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what kind of battery you've got; if you have a constant draw being placed on it and no recharging going on, it's going to die.

for a newb, this guy knows his stuff :p
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Kiran
    edited February 2009
    Oh crap...I really didn't know that the system draws enough power when off to actually drain out the battery; I thought it just took enough juice to retain the settings memory. Anyways I'll get a switch put in right away...thanks a lot for u help guys!! Do any of you think that the system just needs more power than a regular battery can deliver??...I only have one subwoofer, but I do play my music really loud...but its not too bass heavy...anyways, let me try the switch first..hopefully it solves the issue. Thanks again..
    Polk SR 6500 (front)
    Polk SR 6500 (rear)
    Polk SR 124 DVC
    Polk1200.1 Monoblock
    /////Alpine PXE-H650 Imprint Processor (returned to Crutchfield...didnt sound as good as its slated out to be!)
    /////Alpine CDA-9887
  • specsalot
    specsalot Posts: 10
    edited March 2009
    I assume (as most here) that you've checked alternator belt tension. I've been burned with belts tight enough to work well during day light driving, but loose enough to not keep up with at night in the rain. If your belts are loose, take care not to over tighten them.
  • Kiran
    edited March 2009
    just got the switch put in on the red power cable to the head unit...things are good so far...Ive disconnected the capacitor and the monoblock amp for now... I want to add each component in and test it for a few days to see if I can pin-point where the power drain is....hopefully there wont be any after the addition of the switch!
    Polk SR 6500 (front)
    Polk SR 6500 (rear)
    Polk SR 124 DVC
    Polk1200.1 Monoblock
    /////Alpine CDA-9887