Faulty Amp?

Nospheratu
Nospheratu Posts: 14
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ive posted this in the troubleshooting thread as well, it seems more appropriate here...

I have this weird problem that has me baffled. I have a polk momo mm2104dvc sub which was powered by my c300.2, no problems whatsoever.

Ive recently acquired a c500.1 to power the sub. I did a straight swap between the amps and all is fine... When the headunit is on. When i turn the headunit off the sub makes a sound increasing in loudness ending in a extremely loud pop. This repeats continuously until i turn the headunit on.

There doesnt need to be any music playing or any volume level set on the headunit. It simply needs to be ON. As soon as i turn it off the symptom reappears.

Im using speaker level input as the stock headunit does not have a line out. The ground has been checked. The remote lead is connected to the vehicles accessory lead.

I have swapped the amps back ie. Connected the c300.2 to the sub and i dont experience this. It only happens with the c500.1

Any suggestions/help would be highly appreciated as I am at my wits end.
Post edited by Nospheratu on

Comments

• audiofiend
    audiofiend Posts: 67
    edited February 2009
    Exalted512 told me that most radio shops can test your amp for $15-20.

sounds like a great way to get a definitive answer.
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Mids: Polk Audio - SR6500
    Tweeters: Viva XT 25 SC 90 - 04
    Subwoofers:?
    Wiring?
  • Nospheratu
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the advice audiofiend, Im actually in the process of finding a reputable shop here in South Africa that can have a look at it.;)

But I was wondering if theres any simple tests that I can perform myself that im maybe overlooking?...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    Its your speaker level inputs. Try and purchase a line out converter.

Something like this:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5264_PAC+SNI-15.html?gclid=CPLH_9TO9pgCFRENDQodDB3tlw

Hook up the speaker wires and ground the other two wires and you should be set!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Nospheratu
    edited February 2009
    Will do Exalted! I was actually considering that...

Although... it seems to be working now. i dont know if theres a loose connection within the amp but I was fiddling with the setup 2 days ago, decided to change the wiring from parallel to serial and lo and behold no noise:confused:

makes no sense whatsoever... but im not complaining(though i hate not knowing what exactly was wrong)

Anyway im going to try and reproduce the sound and have a look inside the amp this weekend to try and narrow it down.

Thanks for the advice.