Alarm recommendations...

Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
My daily driver is a 95 Honda Civic EX Coupe and as many know, for what ever reason, is one of the most stolen cars out there. Well recently I just did a full overhaul on the stereo system and now I'm looking to get a alarm installed but not sure which brand out there most use. Back in the mid 90's when I was competing with car stereos Ungo was the way to go or VSE. With all the upgrades I've done to the car I'd really like to keep all of them. What alarm would any of you guys recommend. Keys features I'd like to have are lock/unlock, paging built-into the remote, tilt sensors, glass break, etc. Thanks in advance.

Rob
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited February 2009
    my current alarm has never failed me. here is what you need. a factory alarm that blows the horn whenever someone tries to get into it and this...

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=23

also a good male boxer thats around 75lbs is a good second line of deturance.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    Just like in sound, where its 20% equipment, 80% installation...alarms are the same way.

Compustar, Clifford, Viper, Prestige, Marksman...there are several good brands out there, but none of them are going to be worth a crap with a crap install.

Are you going to be installing it yourself or taking it to a shop?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Grimster74
    edited February 2009
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Are you going to be installing it yourself or taking it to a shop?
    -Cody

Will definately be taking it to a shop, just don't have the time or the experience to do it myself. I've installed everything car audio in my life but the one thing I've never installed is a car alarm. I'm pretty sure I could do it myself but I'd rather leave it to the professionals that way if something goes wrong they back their warranty. Don't worry, a small local shop in town that I have in mind will be doing it, the same people that tinted my windows so it won't be getting done at my local BB that's for sure.

Rob
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    Like Cody said, the install is very important. Whatever high- end alarm would be great, unless the thief can find it in three seconds. Make sure the brain is hidden, the alarm wires are loomed and tied in with the OEM wires so you can't tell the difference. Make sure you have a hood pin (some guys don't put them in), and extra sirens are a good idea. No one pays attention to an alarm anymore and you might be out of range when it's set off. The two- way transmitters only work so well. But if you have two or three different tone sirens, plus horn honk that gets everyone's attention. The sirens can be hidden in the fenders or under the wiper cowl, and even mounted inside the car so that thieves will be caught off gaurd. Of course, the more things you require the more expensive the install gets.
  • Grimster74
    edited February 2009
    Lasareath wrote: »

I need to figure out how to turn the entire car into a shock machine insted of just the doors so when the neighbors cat decides to jump on my hood, "ZAP", kinda like one of those bug zappers.:D
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2009
    i have a clifford matrix and have had no issues with it. a battery back up alarm is nice also just for some added security if for some reason a thief actually kills the battery (easier done on 4wheel drives) screamers are nice on the inside too :)
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2009
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • BigMac
    BigMac Posts: 849
    edited February 2009
    A carload of rabid pitbulls is my suggestion. Alarms are just a waste of money imo. If someone wants your car or system then they will get it, end of story. Every time I hear a car alarm go off I do not even look to see where or why. A car alarm is no more of a deterrent than a bike lock. They are made to make YOU feel more secure but in reality they don't do anything.....well they do one thing and that is suck the money right out of your account.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    If someone really wants the car, sure- they can haul it off with a rollback. Why even have doors on your house? If someone wants in they'll get in. :)

An alarm is enough to deter lots of thieves, I've had several instances where the car was opened and hood was popped but nothing was taken. The multiple sirens and aftermarket horns honking made it enough of a pain that they moved on. Now if the car was actually nice enough that they decided they had to have it, I'm sure they could. But the alarm was enough to save the stereo, which is what it's supposed to do...
  • eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited February 2009
    i agree with the above. uu just need something to scare them and get ur attention. the u go outside to check on it.

note during the "check on it" i recomend a .45 in hand.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    Thom wrote: »
    If someone really wants the car, sure- they can haul it off with a rollback. Why even have doors on your house? If someone wants in they'll get in. :)

An alarm is enough to deter lots of thieves, I've had several instances where the car was opened and hood was popped but nothing was taken. The multiple sirens and aftermarket horns honking made it enough of a pain that they moved on. Now if the car was actually nice enough that they decided they had to have it, I'm sure they could. But the alarm was enough to save the stereo, which is what it's supposed to do...

EXACTLY.

Add-ons I'd recommend to an alarm system.

1. Battery back up SIREN. Battery back ups are all well and good...until they cut your siren wire.

2. Glass break sensor. You can break glass without setting the shock sensor off.

3. Hood/trunk pins.

Those 3 are a must in my eyes.

Additional stuff that doesnt hurt.

4. Motion detector. Especially good for trucks with sliding rear glass windows. You can pry these open without breaking glass or setting off the shock sensor, but as soon as they crawl inside, the motion detector will pick it up.

5. Piezo sirens (aka pain generators). I'm torn on these. I have 4 in my truck and while its uncomfortable to be in there...and you'll have some ringing in your ears shortly after, if i was a thief, it wouldnt stop me, just a nuisance.

6. If you get a 2-way pager...dont put the antenna in the window. This is one thing I dont like about some of the vipers. The LED is built into the antenna. Great...now everyone knows where my antenna is and if they can unplug it faster than it can reach my pager (which is def. possible), then even if you are in range, you'll never know. I will sacrifice a little range on making it a little safer.

7. Train horns...think an alarm wont get your attention? get a set of train horns from hornblasters.com...you'll get attention...plus, you get to scare the crap out of people walking down sidewalks as an added bonus.

8. Tilt sensors if you're worried about your wheels.

9. Insurance. There are people smarter than your alarm. Getting coverage on your stuff will make sure you can get your equipment back.

And the most important thing for last

10. PREVENTION. They cant steal what they dont know is there. No 'steal me' stickers, dont go bumpin in your neighborhood or where youre about to park...and be careful who you talk to about what you have in your car...be doubly careful at car audio shows. Thieves arent stupid. They know if you're there, you probably have something in your car.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it