Crazy idea for a 3-way front stage: will it work?

thesound
thesound Posts: 2
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all, I had an idea for how I'd like to design a 3-way front stage for the install in my girlfriend's car and I thought I'd run it by all of you to see what you thought.

Okay first off, the equipment list:

Kenwood DNX8120 HU
Phoenix Gold XS6600 Amp
Polk SR6500's
Dayton RS-100 (Midrange)

The Phoenix Gold XS6600 is a 6 channel amp, (4X50 + 2X75@4ohm), with 12 or 24db/oct. HP/LP selectable crossover slopes that are defeatable. What I'd like to try and do is use the Dayton RS-100 4" mids in place of the Polk 6.5" woofers with the SR6500 passive crossovers, (bi-amped using channels 1-4), and simply set the LP crossover point on channels 3 & 4 (Daytons) at around 400hz or so. Then run the Polk 6.5's fully active off of channels 5 & 6 from around 50-60hz up to 400hz.

It's sort've like a half active, half passive setup: I'll still have the flexibility to dial in the Dayton's and find the sweet spot where they get along the best with the Polk 6.5's. And as far as where the tweeter needs to be crossed over at?: I'll just take Polk's word for it. :) Not to mention the nice Zobel network and overload protection won't be going to waste.

What do you think?
Post edited by thesound on

Comments