Monitor 12: PR coating, X-over, stands, and faceplate ?s

Options
plastic_avatar
plastic_avatar Posts: 687
edited February 2009 in Vintage Speakers
Again, excuse the dumb questions :D

- I noticed in some pictures of Monitor 12's, it looks like there's a coating on the PR. I'll double-check to make absolutely sure, but I think mine are just plain, old, matte and not shiny cones.

I know some people coat paper cones with all kinds of shiny sealants... so what's the feeling on this for my 12's?

- I see where people upgrade the X-over components on their 10's, and I see little upgrade packs on ebay. I found the standard and revised schematics for the innards of my 12's here, but is there a consensus (and parts suggested list) on changing out the bits for my model?

For that matter, are the cap & stuff upgrades worth it for my 5jr's?

Honestly, replacing the tweets is more than I expected to do when I bought these... though I'm happy to do it because I heard the potential and I want them to perform at their best.

- Couldn't find anything on stand specs for these. I suppose I could fake it and build them to my own specs, unless someone has inside info that will help me build them better :)

- Lastly! Whew. Do new faceplates come with the tweeter upgrades from Polk (the RDO198-1)? If not, I've got to track one down.

Thanks all, for any help. I'm learning a lot about these older speakers reading the threads. I like the civility I see. It's nice :)

Oh, side note. Any recommendations on what kind of wattage these work best on?

-Steve(n)
The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
Post edited by plastic_avatar on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2009
    Options
    - I see where people upgrade the X-over components on their 10's, and I see little upgrade packs on ebay. I found the standard and revised schematics for the innards of my 12's here, but is there a consensus (and parts suggested list) on changing out the bits for my model?
    Your best bet is to avoid those ebay kits and source the parts for yourself. If you're unsure which model 12 you have, you should pull the crossover and go by the values you currently have.
    For that matter, are the cap & stuff upgrades worth it for my 5jr's?
    IMO, yes.
    - Couldn't find anything on stand specs for these. I suppose I could fake it and build them to my own specs, unless someone has inside info that will help me build them better :)
    Do you mean these specs? http://polksda.com/monitor12.shtml
    - Lastly! Whew. Do new faceplates come with the tweeter upgrades from Polk (the RDO198-1)? If not, I've got to track one down.
    Yes, they're included from Polk.
    Current is more important than wattage. What are you using now?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jjwm27
    jjwm27 Posts: 123
    edited February 2009
    Options
    i also have a set of monitor 12s and would be very grateful for any information or list of parts for upgrading the crossovers, and where to get them. i did the tweeters with rdo 198s and now want even more. i think they are great speakers.
  • plastic_avatar
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Do you have yours on stands?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • ozzy21236
    ozzy21236 Posts: 100
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I have seen where some Monitor 12s have factory "feet/stands" attached . I'll try to find a pic of them . Mine don't have them. They are I believe 1" high in the front and taper to 1/2' at the rear.
    Russ
    Technics SL1210mkll / AT125LC / Cambridge Audio 640P / Yamaha TX-950 / Onkyo TA-2600 / Yamaha C-80 pre/Adcom GFA 545 / Polk Audio Monitor 12 Series 2
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Here is a link regarding the M12s I bought, a gentle fromn down under describes how the factory stands are mounted.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73784&highlight=Monitor
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks all, for any help. I'm learning a lot about these older speakers reading the threads. I like the civility I see. It's nice :)

-Steve(n)

RD0198s are drop in replacements.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    Options

- I noticed in some pictures of Monitor 12's, it looks like there's a coating on the PR. I'll double-check to make absolutely sure, but I think mine are just plain, old, matte and not shiny cones.

I know some people coat paper cones with all kinds of shiny sealants... so what's the feeling on this for my 12's?

Don't quote me on it, but I think some of the earlier Monitor series speakers had a different type of cone material. The earlier ones were an untreated paper cone, while the newer ones had a treated paper cone. This would make the difference in shininess you're seeing. I'm not an expert though, so don't quote me on it.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • plastic_avatar
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'm not an expert though, so don't quote me on it.

[muhahahaha]

I quote you anyway!

[cackles maniacally]

[ahem]

The tweeter I removed last night has a 1991 on the label, but I haven't looked at anything else to get an idea as to when these were made. I'll check in to it tonight, and maybe post a pic of the cone.

Learning about these is a lot more fun than I thought :D

I can't wait to put them with the 5jr's for a little man room action (I'm slowly putting the pieces together for my own little retro refuge, since house space is at a premium).
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    Options
    [muhahahaha]

I quote you anyway!

[cackles maniacally]

[ahem]

The tweeter I removed last night has a 1991 on the label, but I haven't looked at anything else to get an idea as to when these were made. I'll check in to it tonight, and maybe post a pic of the cone.

Learning about these is a lot more fun than I thought :D

I can't wait to put them with the 5jr's for a little man room action (I'm slowly putting the pieces together for my own little retro refuge, since house space is at a premium).

Damn! I've been quoted!!

If they're from 1991, the difference in cone materials wouldn't really be the issue. That was towards the end of the vintage Monitor series lifespan.

Have you cleaned them real well? I know the drivers on my Monitor 7A's were fairly dull looking until I cleaned them up. They look great now. I read of several people on here using Windex to clean them, so that's what I did. It made a world of difference in the appearance of them. Don't even try to clean the tweeters though.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • plastic_avatar
    edited February 2009
    Options
    If they're from 1991, the difference in cone materials wouldn't really be the issue. That was towards the end of the vintage Monitor series lifespan.

I won't worry about it then =)

I looked again. I think I see lots of dust. Yuck.

I'll scrub 'em good when I get my tweeters ordered =)
    Don't even try to clean the tweeters though.;)

[laughs] Really? You don't say =P
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Wow, I started posting about my Monitor 12 in 2009???

And you guys were part of my introduction to the forum, and I appreciate your help!

It only took me 11 years to think I was finished with the upgrades.

I've come a long way.

Now I need to:

- Dynamat the mids and passive.

- Install the phase plugs I made using xschop's design as a model. (I even made a version with a removable tip so I can do a bizarre experiment on another speaker...)

The 12 sound great, and I thank you guys for helping to get me started.

pirmxrpa1ut7.jpeg
    q0yl8mjw4eoh.jpeg