06 Dodge Ram speaker selection

blackbronc
blackbronc Posts: 4
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am a lurker but not much of a poster here at Club Polk but now I have a question.

I have a Dodge Ram 2006 Quad Cab that I am installing a system in. Right now the truck has a FoxBox enclosure with 2 12" Momos in the rear, each powered by its own C500.1. This satisfies the bass but right now the hi/mids are stock. I picked up 2 C300.2 amplifiers used and plan to use them for the front/rear door speakers. My question is given a budget that restricts me to the MM series which should I get?

Option 1: MM691 fronts, MM6501 rears
Option 2: MM6501 fronts, MM6501 rears

I would like to use the MM691 fronts because they bolt straight in and give a little more bass according to the specs. My question is will the 6501 components be a better choice up front and why? Has anyone used the MM691 or older Mmc691 in a Ram?

Other helpful info - I will not be biamping, I am not going to purchase SR's right now so don't recommend them, I have just finished Damplifier throughout the whole truck to deaden sound. Let me know how you would set up this truck.
My late 1990's all-star system (Still going strong in 2009):
Polk RT2000i fronts
Polk CS400i
Polk FX500i rears
M&K v-125 Sub

2006 Dodge Ram - install coming soon
(2) C500.1
(2) Polk Momo 12's
(2) C300.2
Need Speakers - MM series
Post edited by blackbronc on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    Get the 6x9's for the front. I ran the MMC691's in my 02 Ram and they worked great! You may have to do some cutting and bending to get them to fit but they are worth the effort.

Youll need the 5.25's for the rear doors.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • blackbronc
    blackbronc Posts: 4
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the advice MacLeod. I completed the install this weekend and it sounds great. I put the new MM6x9's in the front doors and I was able to fit MM6 1/2" components in the rear doors with a bit of work. One thing I added was a switch on the 12volt turn on lead to the subwoofer amplifiers so that i can completely switch them off whenever I want and it really helped during setup of the regular amps. I am very happy with the sound and even with the subs off there is significant bass. In fact I would say the only dissappointment i have is in the older momo subs - they aren't as good as the new speakers, they were great before when they were working with the stock speakers but now the bass sounds a bit slower and at full volume they break up before the mids.

The system will stay as is for the next 6 months while I play with it and save up for some better subs but I have to recommend the MM speakers very highly to anyone who is considering them. They easily compete with buddies of mine who have MB Quart and MTX and I paid less.

Macleod - did you ever use a c400.4 on the 6x9's with the preEq switched on? Did it help? I have space in the amp rack to switch one 300.2 for a 400.4 so I'll consider it, although not untill i have more money.
    My late 1990's all-star system (Still going strong in 2009):
    Polk RT2000i fronts
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i rears
    M&K v-125 Sub

2006 Dodge Ram - install coming soon
    (2) C500.1
    (2) Polk Momo 12's
    (2) C300.2
    Need Speakers - MM series
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    You won't want to use the preEq feature on the C400.4- that was for running a set of MM6 components all active. If you use a C400.4 to run front and rear speakers you'll only hear the tweets up front and the mids in the rear.
  • headknocker
    headknocker Posts: 17
    edited February 2009
    It appears the MM691's are very similar to the MMC MOMO 690's so you found yourself a sweet-sounding pair of 6x9's. I installed a pair of 690's in my wife's FJ Cruiser last summer and I was amazed at the clarity and detail in the highs and midrange...and that's not including the authoritative, tight midbass. A pretty darn impressive package. My wife's pair are "only" getting 80 watts per channel and that's more than enough to get them singing nicely.
    '98 CRV
    Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU
    Aura MR6.1 comps
    Aura MR62 Integrated comps
    Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12
    US Acoustics USX-4065
    PG Octane 8.0:1