Mounting crossovers in direct sunlight?

jiaan13
jiaan13 Posts: 18
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a pair of MMC690's and I want to mount the crossovers on my parcel shelf (rear deck). Is it safe to have the crossovers in direct sunlight? I live in Modesto and our summers get pretty hot so I don't want the components to fail.
Post edited by jiaan13 on

Comments

• eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited February 2009
    the fact that your asking the question means u already know the answer.

would you leave your laptop sitting in the same spot year after year, or how about your ipod or any other electronic device for that matter???
  • jiaan13
    edited February 2009
    eprater1 wrote: »
    the fact that your asking the question means u already know the answer.
    No, I don't, which is why I asked.
    eprater1 wrote: »
    would you leave your laptop sitting in the same spot year after year, or how about your ipod or any other electronic device for that matter???

Many companies make crossovers that can be mounted in plain sight, and even include a clear plexi window to see the components. Perhaps Polk took that into consideration when designing their crossovers. After all, they are vented and seem like they would dissipate heat relatively well.
  • eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited February 2009
    i simply wouldnt recomend it if it can be avoided. no matter how good the uv protection, or other precautions a company takes im just never comfortable with electronics in direct sunlight. the combo of heat, uv rays, and could do major damage and no need to risk it if it can be avoided.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    Plain sight and in direct sunlight is two very different things. While I would like to think it wouldn't harm anything, the sun is a very powerful force over time...and UV light tends to damage a lot of things. I would recommend against it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    The heat probably isn't an issue, but UV might be. Over the course of a couple years you'll probably see the plastic fade. The plastic has UV inhibitors but they weren't designed with the thought that they'd be mounted in direct sunlight, like the cones and grills.
  • jiaan13
    edited February 2009
    Duly noted. Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably end up mounting them under the rear deck somewhere :/
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2009
    Velcro works. I have one velcroed behind the glove box and another underneath the dash. Didn't need to drill any holes and it's not permanent.