Polk PA1200.1 - keeps cutting out and in...

Kiran
Kiran Posts: 9
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, I've got a rather annoying problem with my Polk PA1200.1 Monoblock amp. when I play it at high volumes it just cuts out after about half an hour or an hour of listening time!!!!! Its connected to my alpine CDA9987 and powers a Polk SR124DVC subwoofer. The blue lights and everything are still on, so I know its still powered up, but it just doesn't deliver anything to my sub!! It comes back to life a day or two later, and its like nothing happened at all...until it just cuts out again when I listen to loud music! It doesn't seem to be excessively hot so I dont think its over heating, and my gain is only set to about half since I dont like a very loud low end. I'm totally lost as to whats happening and I'm about ready to rip this amp out and go with another brand - JL audio or ARC audio.... Anyone who knows anything about this - please help!!!:confused:
Polk SR 6500 (front)
Polk SR 6500 (rear)
Polk SR 124 DVC
Polk1200.1 Monoblock
ARC Audio SE 4200(signature edition 4 channel Amp)
/////Alpine PXE-H650 Imprint Processor (returned to Crutchfield...didnt sound as good as its slated out to be!)
/////Alpine CDA-9887
Jamo 2.5mm home theater spkr wires, Monster RCA's
Post edited by Kiran on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    Dont give up on that amp yet. Its a great amp.

First, turn your gain down to around the 10:00 position. Thats what I have mine at and I have my subwoofer level on my head unit at 0 so this is plenty of gain and make sure you have the bass boost off.

Second, the fancy lights and amp cover make it harder for the amp to cool. Mine gets so hot you can fry an egg on it. Make sure its got plenty of airspace. If it does and it still cuts out with the gain turned down and bass boost off, go buy a 12V fan from Radio Shack for $20 and install that.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2009
    hi kiran,

you have a really nice set up. Polk makes amazing amps. Its shutting down due to overheating. Can you pls explain where exactly the amp is mounted and how. Sometimes installers will mount the amp upside down this way the heat that dissipates from the amp (hot air rises) just builds up around the amp and cuts off circulation to the amp.

I see ure from b'lore. Where did you get the sr's? Kumars? How much did you pay for them?

oh and listen to mac. His advise is gold.
  • Kiran
    edited February 2009
    arun1963 wrote: »
    hi kiran,

you have a really nice set up. Polk makes amazing amps. Its shutting down due to overheating. Can you pls explain where exactly the amp is mounted and how. Sometimes installers will mount the amp upside down this way the heat that dissipates from the amp (hot air rises) just builds up around the amp and cuts off circulation to the amp.

I see ure from b'lore. Where did you get the sr's? Kumars? How much did you pay for them?

oh and listen to mac. His advise is gold.

Thanks for the compliment...yeah it sounds fantastic, but I still have a ways to go before the staging and everything is right..Ive got the amp mounted in the trunk on top of an MDF plank covered in carpet. Its a typical placement. It has pleanty of space around it to breathe. I'm not sure about which side is up, but the branding lights are the right side up so I think its ok (not sure if the cover can fit in both directions)... Do u know which side is up?? Ive got the RCA input and gain control side facing the tail light and the power cables etc facing the rear seat, if that helps give u an idea of which direction I have it mounted.. anyways shouldnt it come back to life immediately after it cools down?? why does it take days to recover??? I just find it really odd!! and frustrating!
    Polk SR 6500 (front)
    Polk SR 6500 (rear)
    Polk SR 124 DVC
    Polk1200.1 Monoblock
    /////Alpine PXE-H650 Imprint Processor (returned to Crutchfield...didnt sound as good as its slated out to be!)
    /////Alpine CDA-9887
  • biggs
    biggs Posts: 16
    edited February 2009
    Could it be a ground issue? Checked your groungingpoint?
  • Kiran
    edited March 2009
    biggs wrote: »
    Could it be a ground issue? Checked your groungingpoint?

the ground seems to be good...ive got my four channel amp grounded at the same spot and it's working flawlessly so far! I just sent the Monoblock amp to Polk to have it checked out...hopefully they will figure it out!
    Polk SR 6500 (front)
    Polk SR 6500 (rear)
    Polk SR 124 DVC
    Polk1200.1 Monoblock
    /////Alpine CDA-9887
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2009
    hi kiran,

good luck with the amp. How much did you pay for the sr's? Will need to upgrade my momo's someime this year. Tks.
  • Kiran
    edited March 2009
    arun1963 wrote: »
    hi kiran,

good luck with the amp. How much did you pay for the sr's? Will need to upgrade my momo's someime this year. Tks.

The SR's are kinda expensive in India man...I got my first set at full retail - Ind Rs. 44000 approx and got the second set from Singapore for about 28000. They are worth it though - I havent heard better speaker in a car - PERIOD - you will see a day and night difference between ur MOMO's and the SR's. I would definitely recommend them....but try and pick them up when u travel or get someone to get them for u (The U.S is the best place to pick em up)..but make sure u get the warranty stamped, cus if u blow a tweeter by mistake (happened to me!) its gonna cost u close to 17K to get a new one!!
    Polk SR 6500 (front)
    Polk SR 6500 (rear)
    Polk SR 124 DVC
    Polk1200.1 Monoblock
    /////Alpine CDA-9887