Boat Sub, speaker, and Amp HELP

breaststroke56
breaststroke56 Posts: 2
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need some help and I have researched and called numerious people and get mixed answers. I am looking at getting a amp that has 6 channels (4x 100 W @4ohms and the last two channels together are 250W @ 4 ohm for a sub)
I would like to hook up 4 polk audio speakers 60 W @ 4ohm's each, 4 factory speakers which are also 60W @4 ohm's each, and a sub 200 W @4ohm

Can I hook up the 4 factory speakers to 2 channels, the 4 polk audio speakers to 2 channels and use the last 2 channels to push the sub?

From what I understand if I hook up 2 4 ohm speakers to 1 channel is will half the Watt so in this case itwould push 50 watts to each 60 watt speaker...

Can someone give mesome guidance and advice on this
Post edited by breaststroke56 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    The 4 speakers would actually get the same power as the polks.

If you have 2-channels that do 100x2 @ 4 ohms, in theory, it should do 200x2 @ 2 ohms. When you put two 4-ohm speakers together, you get a 2-ohm load, so you'll be getting 200 watts...divided by 2 speakers, 100 watts each.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    ...but depending on the amp it probably doesn't double power when driven at 2 ohms. Really good amps used to do that, but it seems that most amps don't anymore. Some amps (like some JL) make the same power. What amp is it?

Assuming it does give you some extra power (maybe 150 watts?) you'd be splitting that between the pair. Another thing to think about is where the amp is mounted and how hot it will get. Running all channels at 2 ohms will get that amp hot. Hot enough to shut down? is the question. What are the factory speakers? Many boats use aftermarket car speakers as their factory offering.