Dynamat

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,527
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well - R-Blox more like it...

I bought 100 sq ft of it...

I just R-Bloxd' my hood (dosnt sound as cool as dynamat)

Huge difference... Im going to slowly dynamat everything in my truck, doors, floor, dash, back wall, possibly will figure out how to take down the headliner (dealer) and apply some there

Just trying to reduce as much road noise as possible.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    Yup, makes a huge difference. You can never have too much Dynamat. If I had the money and time....and patience Id pull everything out of my car and Dynamat the entire interior.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited February 2009
    RBlox is pretty cheap, 130 shipped for 100 sq ft and it was pretty easy to work with...

And that is basically my goal - dynamat everything. It made a huge difference in the hood - for sure.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    You're going about it wrong if you're wanting to reduce road noise. While sound deadening mats have a slight by-product of reducing road noise, they were designed to keep things from rattling. The only reason why it reduces noises is because you're putting another lay of 'something', which could be replaced with 'anything', between you and the noise.

The best way to get rid of road noise is through noise barriers, not damping mats.

The bad thing is, they are wayyyy more expensive than regular mat. Here are some examples:
    http://secondskinaudio.com/products/Acoustic-Thermal-Insulation.php
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • VR3
    edited February 2009
    I will most likely apply that to the floor --- as that would solve alot of road noise -- but I cant see applying that to doors/ceiling/walls - etc

Looks a little messier

Thanks for the tip.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    Cody is right that it wont do a whole bunch to quiet the ride but what it does is kill resonance. When you play your music or even drive down the road, the plastic trim pieces and sheet metal rattle, vibrate and even resonate. By layering everything with Dynamat you cut this down drastically so that any noises arent amplified so they seem quieter. It does wonders for your music because in a well dampened car the music feels more isolated from the car and it starts to feel less like youre in a car listening to music and more like youre sitting in a room listening to music.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited February 2009
    I deadened one door today -- passenger rear door --- I dampened the crap out of it...

Everybit of exposed sheet metal on the door - is deadened, I deadened both sides of the panel where the speaker is mounted and I deadened the entire door skin itself -- multiple layers... particularly around where the speaker goes.

The door even shuts quieter than before -- but I sent the music to that door and then panned to the door on the driver side and the difference in rattling was significant... more than worth it...

I'll slowly do a door at a time and eventually will have them all done - hahaha... I guess that is how it works eh? Great investment so far!
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited February 2009
    ^^ yes.... reducing your noise floor will make your music "louder"

it's like talking in a quiet room as opposed to talking in a concert. you are still speaking at the same db level but because of the higher noise floor at the concert, you are barely heard.

you can snag sound proofing material at your local industrial supplies warehouse. it's still expensive but cheaper than shipping that stuff... sound proofing is heavy and expensive to ship.